E-BAY and SHIPPING ARE GETTING OUT OF CONTROL

It seems that e-bay is totally controlling the elevated shipping now.......I bought a small amp (14.5 lbs)in Ct and the shipping to Idaho without insurance was 90.00...........I was looking at some Audio Research front panels in SC and the shipping to Idaho was 45.00.......Shipping is getting like gas prices, no control........I checked with Fed-Ex about the shipping on the amp and they said 41.00 with insurance......I ask the seller to ship by Fed-Ex and he tells me its e-bays deal and he can't do anything about it.....Of course I had already paid for it...........Then I find out it was shipped by NEX ???     Read a review on that company.....All negatives  100 %
autospec
I sell some on eBay since it's the best exposure for certain items, even though the fees are high. The seller has choices for shipping. He can set a fixed amount or choose a service, then enter the weight. I have only used USPS and UPS, but the rate eBay calculates is less than a standard calculation from the carrier's website, however that discount is lost since eBay gets a fee for the total sale, price plus shipping. If anyone gets stuck with high shipping costs on eBay, it's not them. It's the seller or the service the seller uses.

I see mr jaybe has 18 transactions on Audiogon, so I wouldn't say he's doing much from a experience standpoint....autospec has 741 transactions..........
Never has a problem with shippjng charged by the seller on eBay. The highest shipping I paid was on a pair of Quad ESLs at $1000.
Seller definitely sets the shipping cost. Once I was looking at purchasing an amp on Ebay,  the seller listed shipping @ $175.  The amp was very heavy,  but I figured shipping on my FedEx account and it was about $50 for me.  I contacted the seller before offers.  The seller did drop shipping to $75,  but that was all they were willing to do.  
On the few things that I've sold on Ebay, I have always figured shipping before listing.  I haven't tried any of the lowball price game with hidden cost in inflated shipping.  
Whenever I think ebay shipping costs are excessive I tell sellers that I will prepay for shipping and send them a label to be taped to the box.  Never had a seller refuse.  I have done this for several heavy amplifiers and other things.  I some cases my shipping cost was 1/2 of the Ebay quote.   In your case, if a seller insists on using Ebay quotes and shipping methods and you decide to pay their excessive price, you CAN leave negative feedback and low DSR scores to warn future prospective buyers.