E.A.R. 834P

i know this phono pre has been around for a while, looking for tweeks, tube improvements, or any other things that can be done for this fine piece of gear, i am trying to chose between a ps gcph and the 834p, both are stock no mods, the 834 has telefunken tubes
stltrains

Showing 6 responses by stltrains

hey dan i am new to the tube audio world, are tube dampeners available at most audio stores, are there different types, i guess they act on vibrations in the tubes, i will check that out, i was also told that walker sst i a good thing to put on the pins, thanks
after having the 834p in my system for the weekend there great differences between the two, the 834p is super quite, has the tube blum, great mids, no problem driving my dynavector 20xl, and a real pleasure to sit down and listen for hours, the gcph is great at imaging and is a little nosier, it is also a easy listening piece, its going to be a tough choice, and like you said sit audio is one fun hobby, and a terrible disease but our ears love it, we have so many choices and to little time,
i sent the 834p to mitch singerman for his latest mod, should be getting it any time will report the difference in what the sound is like to the unmoded one, he advised 100 hrs of breakin, during the time the ear has been out and the ps gcph in i have given the gcph a good audition, will be putting one for sale here on audiogon after my choice is made,
what i think he meant was get 100 hrs on it and from then on take note of the difference in sound, also he sent some of his recommended tubes jj electronic ec83s, before i try them i have my telefunkens in for breakin, i have to admit that i really like what the tubed 834 sounds like in my system, after only about 10 hrs,
for isolation mitchs recommdation is vibrapods which i had and was not using, so i put 3s with the cones and bigger bearings and thay made for a sweet improvement, i have some pieces of granite on top for some added weight, i am using a ps audio extream plus a/c cord, and now that i am putting the hours on the moded 834, i am playing all of my favorite lps and loving it, when i have a sit down i play lps, when not thats when the cds get played, to me there is no doubt lp play back is the best musical front end,
by luck i did a web search and after a lot of choices for a tube ring i went with herbies hal 0 9 peek ring for the three tubes in the 834p, thanks for the tip with the sst it is a real conductor, i am a elevator mechanic and have used it a couple of times on elevators for good contac on relays,