Dynavector PHA-200 Head Amp.

Did anyone use this to amplify the low output MC cartridge? How is it? Any improvements? Does it add noise to the system? Will appreciate any comments.
oanhu

Showing 2 responses by downunder

I used the PHA-100 ( not 200) it in front of my cj prem 15 to drive my dynavector XV-1. It added no noise and was generally an improvement in sound. It works very good for non Dynavector cartridges.
If you are using it in MC stage you need to ensure the phono stage can handle the extra signal. MM is fine.

What is the problem with your current set up?

cheers Shane
Oanhu. I have the cj-16 and if you are having to go all the way up to 75 for reasonable sound, the Lamm must have very low output and/or your speakers not very efficient. Normally if I have 75 on the vol control the sound is well and truely pumpimg, especially considering the cj has 25db total gain.
I would ask Lamm to see what they think before going that route to ensure the Lamm can handle the added voltage.

I had similar issues that your are having and frankly I got sick of the two boxes (& extra IC's) and while the PH-100 was great for the dynavector output, my helikon was a bit too loud so disconnecting the ph-100 and using just the cj 15 was a bit of a pain for each cartridge.
I now have a pass Xono and that has 3 different gain settings, unlimited impedance loading, very quiet and just as musical.

anyway good luck
Shane

cheers Shane