Dynavector Karat 17D3: retip for $500 or get something new?

I have a Dynavector Karat 17D3 cartridge which I liked soundwise until it began to mistrack severely. Had it examined and it turned out the diamond is almost completely worn out.

I can get it retipped with the new Micro Ridge Stylus for $500. Alternatively, I can attempt to sell it, add $500-$600 and get another cartridge. The question is: can anything it the range of $700-800  sound better than a retipped "old" Karat? 

My system consists of Mitsubishi LT-30 turntable, Nakamichi CA-7A preamp, SONY TA-N330 ES power amp and Solstice MLTL speakers. Speakers are not very bass-efficient so the new cartridge shouldn't be bright.   

prophos

Showing 10 responses by chakster

Dynavector 17D2 mkII is excellent cartridge, today I took a picture of my spare sample, still NOS in the box. 

This is my 4th Dynavector cartridge, and the 1st Dynavector with unique magnetic flux damping and softened magnetism (patent) along with powerful Neodymium magnet that combine to eliminate any hardness or irritating edginess that commonly occurs in many moving coil cartridges. This has also enabled to increase the output of 0.26mV. It has 1.7mm length Diamond cantilever which is much smaller than any conventional cantilever. Karat 17D2 mkII showed a ruler flat response from 100 Hz to 30KHz (under ± 0.5 dB) as you can see on printed individual test for this particular sample. The Micro Ridge of 0.06 square mm nude diamond stylus is carefully mounted in the cantilever. The armature of 0.9mm square and 0.4mm thick is much smaller than normal, upon which are wounded 70 turns per channel of 11 micron fine wire. Dynavector is highly regarded as a manufacturer of the finest high-performance moving coil phono cartridges since 1975. My first Dynavector was a high output DV-30A from the 70’s, released in Japan 1 year before the Karat series. Then I fell in love with Karat 23RS (Ruby) and Karat 17DS Super (Diamond), the sound quality was addictive. At the moment the Karat 17d2 mkII (Diamond) is the highest model in my vault.

I would NEVER let anyone to re-tip it, except for the Dynavector in Japan! 

What is clearly stated in the manual:

Either cantilever or stylus of Karat is not replaceable. In the case of the worn stylus, your cartridge is replaced to the new cartridge with special rate charge of the retail price. When the cantilever is broken by any reason, your cartridge is also replaced to the new one with same price from above special rate. The other electrical and mechanical defects are guaranteed except the user’s mishandling or abuse.

P.S. You have to contact Dynavector (or Dynavector Dealer).
ART-9 topic is irrelevant today, this is discontinued cartridge and our friend Pani replaced it with EMT 75th Anniversary after all, the hype is over. 
My Dynavector 17d2mk2 (for example) designed for light mass tonearms. The compliance at 100hz is 15cu and it’s about 27cu at 10hz - this is a high compliance for MC cartridge and tonearm choice is important. 
There are many unique features in Dynavector cartridges. Great cartridge, the rest is just speculations. There are always 20 more cartridges to buy. 
 taking the cartridge off and inspecting it under a microscope revealed that the diamond was displaced in the cantilever (in comparison to my 17d's) on this particular cantilever the diamond appeared to have been set into an open ended slot and that most of the diamond was sticking out of the back with hardly any of the tip showing.

@pcutter1 

This is my 17DS mkII under a macro lens, I have no idea how anyone can re-tip it, very bad idea! 
I post temporary links only, you are late. But what is the question? 
Ok, look at this and tell me how can you re-tip it? This is KARAT 17RS with MicroRidge stylus. It’s Diamond cantilever, try to detect any glue aroung the tip. Now post a picture of your re-tipped sample and we will see.

I can’t find an image of re-tipped Diamond, but this is a picture of re-tipped RUBY and it’s AWFUL! Huge drop of epoxy glue around the cantilever (this is a typical re-tippers job).

Look at the original Ruby and Diamond cantilevers in this manual.
Same story again. I’m not sure why do you think everyone should praise some third party re-tipper even if you like your cartridge?

I prefer to pay for a NOS cartridge, not to retipper’s pocked.

Dynavector KARAT cartridges are not so expensive. I just don’t use or buy any retipped or refurbished cartridges (no more, never again).
I believe the Dynavector in Japan can work on those carts better than anyone in this world if someone wish to fix a broken sample. But they will replace the whole cantilever.

Some KARAT cartridges can be purchased for $700-1500 (NEW/NOS). I still have unused 17D2 mk2, shipped another sample to a fellow audiogon member. Also owned Karat 17DS and Ruby 23MR. 

Right, but I already explained from the technical point of view why re-tipping is not good, so anyone can find and read it. I have not seen any re-tipped sample of KARAT that looks like original.

Why would someone with obviously that kind of disposable income retip a cartridge when they can just buy a new one and anything they would want under the sun? Because some people really like what they have and they want to stick with it. I can’t imagine a scarier client, really. This isn’t someone who hasn’t heard a certain cartridge before on a so so system. This is someone whose ear is tuned to s certain cartridge they know intimately in an extremely revealing system in an intimate familiar space and they don’t want what they’ve got disturbed. And yet they come to me and they come back with repeat business.

It’s good for advertising, but in reality once their cartridge retipped or refurbished they can’t send it back to the manufacturer for exchange for a new one (if they really like the original sound), so they can only continue with their favorite retipper, if it’s just a new tip then it’s ok, but if it’s different cantilever then who knows. Some specific models are way different and many retippers refuse to work with them (because they know it won’t be as good as the original). So everything depends on a cartridge and its design/materials/parts.

I wonder why people have not discovered MM or MI yet ? Genuine user replaceable stylus is the answer to all the problems.

On the other hand I have a question for manufacturers of MC cartridges, seems like they are losing their customers after first sale.