Dynavector cartridges, old and new

For more than 40 years Dynavector has been producing very high quality moving coil cartridges in Japan. Sadly we don't have a dedicated Dynavector thread here on audiogon. It would be nice to collect info about some nice rare models in one topic. 

My first Dynavector was high output model, very attractive headshell integrated as one piece - Dynavector DV-30A was released in Japan 1 year before the Karat series and 4 years before the fabulous Karat Nova. The first high output Moving Coil Dynavector DV-30 series was the next generation of the Ultimo cartridges. The Ultimo’s were manufactured by Onlife Research Inc., which later became Dynavector. The 30-series was introduced in 1978 with 3 different models DV-30A & DV-30B (HOMC) and DV-30C (LOMC). Till the early 80s it was top of the line Dynavector models.... 

But then the KARAT was released with short Ruby and Diamond cantilevers (depends on the model). I've been looking for KARAT for a long time, i found the Dynavector KARAT 23RS special calibrated version with Micro Ridge stylus tip and prism Ruby cantilever. This particular model has been introduced in 1988 and claimed to be superior to the earlier generation of Karat carts. I'd like to seek more info about this rare cartridge, but very little info available online. Anyone can comment on Karat Ruby 23RS mkI (not mkII) ?  

I know some mebers are enjoing the more expensive Karat Nova series, XV-1, XX-2, Te Kaitora Rua etc 

Modern Dynavector site is: http://www.dynavector.com/ 

But the rare models can be found here

128x128chakster
If we will look at Dynavector catalog of cartridges we will not find anything with Ruby cantilever anymore. But the Diamond cantilever is still there on 17D3.

"Its very short (1.7mm) solid diamond cantilever give a huge reduction in 'frequency dispersion', unmatched dynamics and a high frequency extension all the way up to 100kHz. The latest patented magnet circuit design increases the output to 0.3mV with crystal clear mid-range and treble even during the largest symphonic crescendos. The main change to the new Dynavector 17D3 is an improvement in the design of the front yoke. This appears, on the surface, to be a small difference yet contributes to a greatly improved overall performance justifying a model number change. The Dynavector Karat is notable for its gemstone cantilever. This 1.7mm long by 0.25mm diameter solid diamond cantilever has its 0.07 square mm stylus mounting hole precision cut by laser. The Micro Ridge Stylus of 0.07 square mm nude diamond is securely and accurately bonded to the cantilever. The armature of 0.9mm square and 0.4mm thick is much smaller than normal, upon which are wound 60 turns per channel of 12 micron fine wire." 

Specs for 17D3 in comparison of the specs for 17DS: 

Output Voltage: 0.3 mV  ///////  0.2 mV (5 cm / sec 1 kHz)
Channel Separation:  25 dB   /////// 20 dB (1 kHz)  
Frequency response:  20 - 100,000Hz ///////  20 - 90,000Hz  
Compliance:   15 x 10-6  ///////  15 x 10-6 cm/dyn  
Tracking force:    1.8 - 2.2 grams  ///////  1.7 - 2.0 grams
DC resistance:  32Ω    ///////   32Ω  
Cantilever:   1.7mm length, 0.25dia solid diamond  //// .... ??? 
Stylus:  Micro-Ridge  .... ///////   0.08 × 3 mil Micro-Ridge
Weight  5.8 g ///////   5.3 g

Here is what i found using time machine on this forum about rare Dynavector 23RS and 17DS 

first quote from David's post in 2011:

My first listen (about 1 hour) to the Dynavector DV-23RS last night.... this cartridge sounds clearly different to all the others I have tried. Much too early to get analytic about it - and I will test it thoroughly in due course... but there is definitely something to the short cantilever thing.... Other than the Decca, I don't believe I know of other short cantilever cartridges.... - David @dlaloum 

secong quote is from Raul's old post:

I own the 23R and owned the 17DS and Nova 17D2, both an improvement over the 23R. On those times the latest and top of the line was the Nova 13D that was very expensive but where any one that had the opportunity to own it or heard it always told was just great. -Raul

I own several Dynavector cartridges and also the DV-501 bi-axis tonearm. I currently have the DV-10x5, DV-23R (purchased as NOS) and the DV-17D2 and the DV-30C (re-tipped with an aluminum cantilever/spherical stylus). The 10x5 has a solid lively sound and enough output for a MM only phono pre. The 23R and the 17D2 both have a smooth and natural sound, with the 17D2 having better bass response.
I've also owned plenty of other mid-range cartridges, but all things considered, I keep coming back to the 23R; it has a spaciousness and an ease that I prefer over the 17D2. It also tracks superbly at 1.6 grams in the 501 arm. I'd like to find a NOS 23RS to try.

All my Dynavectors benefit in terms of dynamics and presentation from running through my Bob's Devices SUT, and are also a great match with the P75 phono preamp (I had the MkII version).
Chakster, Thanks for digging up the old quote from Raul.  It seems my recollection of his opinion was in error.  You guys have stimulated me to mount up the 17D3 and compare it to my Audio Technica ART7.  The two are in the same price range.  In fact, because I have two DV505s, I can audition them side by side in the same type tonearm.
I don't know about recent Dynavectors, but I owned the original Dyna Ruby and in a Syrinx PU-1 arm and Linn Sondek  table, it made magic thru my Counterpoint SA-2 headamp and ARC amplification.

On the other hand, I also had their first "20" high output cartridge briefly in my second system and didn't like it at all.  Completely different sound, and not a great tracker.