Dynavector 20XL

I just got a Dynavector 20XL installed on my VPI JMW9 std tone arm and am hearing more than just brightness, but a static-type noise from the highs.
Any suggestions? Is it the cartridge that needs to be broken in, or is one of my preamp tubes in my BAT int amp going? I didn't hear this with a MM cartridge.
Thank.
ksl822

Showing 4 responses by ksl822

Thanks for the responses. I will try the antiskate adjustment.

The noise is persistent even when I change phono preamps, so I know it's not the phono stage.
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and sharing of their vast knowledge on this matter.

I will keep you posted as to what I find after I implement the recommended adjustments and tests.

Thanks again.
I spent several hours realigning my cartridge so that is was exactly the way VPI specified for the Dyno.

It has made a huge difference, with the end result being that it is now on the bright side with very minimal "static" harshness.

I did notice that it was more pronounced in 120g older vinyl than on the new 180g records.
I had the pleasure to speak with Mike at VPI regarding my issue. He gave me some great advice and offered to help me further if I could not resolve the issue myself.

I have to say that Mike went above and beyond the customer service call. Anyone debating over a VPI product verses any other should seriously consider VPI! And they are still proudly made in the USA! Way to go VPI, you have me as a customer for life!