Dynavector 10X5 versus Sumiko Evo III

I have a Rega P3-24 turntable which was packaged with their Elys (MM) cartridge. The Elys is better than I expected---though I have had two whose cantilevers collapsed. I did not mishandle them. Therefore, I am considering using a high output MC. I have owned the previous Sumiko Blue Point Special which was good but not equal to Sumiko's Talisman which was discontined about 7 years ago. My impression of the BPS was that it sounded somewhat bright and predictable and not very engaging. Though, the cartridge was rugged and I never had a problem with it. Therefore, I am looking at the Dynavector 10X5 and Sumiko's EVO III which is supposedly a greatly improved version the of the BPS. I would like to get some input on which cartridge will work the best with the Rega table which has an RB301 tonearm. I am using a Creek 5350SE classic and the SE MM phono board. I was told by Creek that the MM phono board needs to see a 47,000ohm cartridge impedance to sound good. I am considering moving to an outboard phono board with more flexibility and better sound. Possibly, a Gramhan Slee "Special Edition" phono box(a dedicated MM stage) or the Moon LP3 which is both an MC/MM phono stage. My speakers are Silverline Prelude II's which may be soon replaced with either Epos 16i's or the new Rega RS-5----I am still looking. Thank you Jim
sunnyjim

Showing 1 response by polk432

The Sumiko is not as bright as the Dynavector. I have the 10x5 but beware they are extremely delicate. They sound pretty good on a Linn Sondek 12 w an Ittock II arm, but you can easily ruin one trying to mount it. I am very careful and used a mint lp tractor and ruined my first one and the second one still ran me $160.00 so I think that they are junk and will go with a Sumiko the next time around. Good luck either way and happy listening. PS if you buy a 10x5 from the needle doctor, make sure it is not bent right out of the box. They have a bad "oops" policy and Dynavector will not help either.