Dynaudio vs. Focal - Bookshelfs - Help me Decide!

Hi - first post here and trying to decide between the twice as expensive Dynaudio Special 40 and the Focal 906 bookshelf speakers. I've heard both (in different systems, different dealers) but since a month went by in between visits, I cannot say for sure that the Dyn S40s sounded twice as good and warrant paying $3,000 vs. $1,500 price tag.  These are my top 2 contenders. 

Anyone else compare these 2?  My room is 12 wide by 20 long, using 250 wpc hafler modded DH500 and Vincent tube preamp. I do have a PSB sub I can use as well. 

If I do spend $3,000 range, then perhaps the choice is between the Floorstander Focal 926 vs. the Dyn S40 bookshelf. I'd appreciate any advice, anyone who has owned these, or compared these at the same dealer side by side. Thanks very much !!
kansas400

Showing 1 response by dpac996

Dynaudio S40's all day long;
I owned them and loved the sound so much I wanted more of it (bass reach, scale, volume) I wound up with Contour 30's then Contour 60's; Definite house sound all the way through. 
In my very simple 5.1 home theater sound setup I have Focal Aria 906 with the matching stands. I am very used to the Aria 906 sound; I really like these speakers and they do a lot right. Very expressive and open; seems to do great with movie-audio content; Probably the speaker to beat in the ~1K mark;
The S40s are more finesse sounding, airy sweeter treble but the biggest thing, they sound more 3D; the 906 are flatter sounding, not as 'deep'; Overall the Dyns sound more natural to me and less strained. IMHO the Focals can sound shouty at times (Focal's I have owned over the last 12 months; Aria 948, Aria 906, Sopra 2);
If possible, audition both in your own space with your own equipment;