Dynaudio's best sounding bookshelf between $500-1000

Dynaudio has always offered multiple "lines" of speakers, especially bookshelf monitors. The speakers I can recall are the Focus 2/6 and 2/7;  The recent Excite line with models 12 and later 14; and a model called the 110 issued in 2005-2007.  I need to find a small to medium size bookshelf monitor for a second system,  that has very good sound quality with tight bass and a wide deep sound stage. Please no sizzling highs. I may occasionally hook them up to my main system to see  if they can come close in sound quality to a floorstander speaker, and driven by more power in a larger room. 

I have listened to a few of the above, but that was a few years ago. My recollection was that most sounded good, but also a little dull  That is probably not totally accurate  Feedback from members who have owned a few of the above models would be helpful.   Thank you 

sunnyjim
sunnyjim - The 2/6 2/7 line was the entry level 'DM' series which has been recently replaced with the Emit series. Excite series model 12 is discontinued while the 14 - 18 - 34 - 38 and 44 is current. The model 110 is a much older Focus line.

Now that's out of the way IMO the newer models have more forward and brighter highs. With Dynaudio it has a 'house' sound. The level of refinement gets better as you go go up the ladder.  But that said they have speakers that are pretty 'laid back' and some that are more forward with 'almost' sizzling highs and very forward mids (Sapphires - S25's and Consequence UE come to mind - which are also older models).

I can't recommend enough listening to as many in your price range first to see what 'series' you prefer. I used to have original C1's and later the signatures.
I have heard the Excite 12s and thought them to be great. They do require clean power to perform at there best however. They come up for sale on AG for ~$800.  They were replaced by the 14s which I hear are easier to drive. 
I owned the Audience 52SE and was very pleased with them.  They were replaced by a $7000 bookshelf.

Thanks to all for the information. I may need to look at another brand;  Even though, the speakers will only be used  occasionally and as just something to compare. 

To czarivey.  I have read the Totem Model I sig  are excellent speakers, but even used they are out of my price range  

I 2nd the Totem Model 1 sig’s. These speakers use a driver made by Dynaudio and it has a 3" voice coil! If your lucky you can find a early pair for around $1000. Model 1’s have been made for over 20 years! Also, a nice Classe 100w per channel amp (or something similar) would drive them perfectly. They need some juice to open up AND some good stands, repeating...Good stands will go a long way.  Something for a little less money you might consider EPOS. Years ago they made one of the best sounding bookself speakers for around $1000 new. They still make great products today for the money.

Matt
No affiliation, however a pair of Totem Sig I just listed today....one owner and in mahogany!  Price looks great to me.  Good luck.

Not sure how you can go wronf with x12 if you like the dynaudio sound. Disclaimer is i have a pair that i plan to sell but only to get into the shindo game.
I thought the X14 was a very nice speaker.  Clean, clear, excellent bass for its size.  It just communicated what was on the recording.  Very impressive for its price, imho.

Thank guys. Your advice and comments are helpful 

To Matt Miller, I just a pair of Epos Epic 2 speakers.  Hold on there.......,were you  the seller???? 

I have owned Audience 42,52SE & Focus 110's.I always felt(when driven by SS)that they could lean towards stridency when pushed hard.
 For small -medium speakers with a BIG sound similar to Dynaudio have a look at Dali.The Zensor 2's have HUGE bass from a medium sized cab & in my smallish room the Zensor 1's(driven by 10wpc.SE EL34) are just fantastic!
freediver209 posts03-06-2016 10:33am
I have owned Audience 42,52SE & Focus 110's.I always felt(when driven by SS)that they could lean towards stridency when pushed hard.
 For small -medium speakers with a BIG sound similar to Dynaudio have a look at Dali.The Zensor 2's have HUGE bass from a medium sized cab & in my smallish room the Zensor 1's(driven by 10wpc.SE EL34) are just fantastic!
I auditioned the Dali Zensor 1 and Mentor Menuet before settling for the latter. Great little speakers indeed. Diminutive size but big sound. Despite the small cabinet of the Mentor Menuets(smaller than Zensor 1), they are capable of playing cleanly at moderate to high volume without showing stress or distortion.

No I have never sold any speakers. I do own a pair of "real" UK made EPOS ES 22's from the 90's. Thats why I know EPOS brand.

Matt M