Dynaudio Focus 140 vs Totem Model 1 Signature

Looking for a comparison of the dynamic capabilities of these two speakers. I've heard the Totems and was impressed by their dynamic snap (as well as their bass and soundstaging). The Dynaudios are quite similar to my understanding (same bass driver) but a bit smoother on top and easier to drive--a possible benefit since I'll be using an NAD C325BEE, at least in the short-term. If the Dynaudios are as dynamic, I'm wondering if they might be my better choice. Also, does anyone know if either plays better at low volumes?

Thanks in advance!
ablang

Showing 6 responses by hieule5

It all comes down to your taste whether great mid range and imaging that you crave or the tighter bass that you like. Good electronics (amplification) plays a big role too.
Both the Totem Model One and the Dyn 52 are great speakers worth matching with amplifiers that cost as much as three times the amount that you invest into the Totem Model One or the Dyn 52SE. They are designed by different people and of course they sound different. Whether you go with Totem or Dynaudio is a matter of taste.

To extract the most out of both the Totem and the Dyn, you will need decent pre/pro combo that gives you 100 watts each channel. But decent integrateds like Sim, Plinius, and Naim also suffice. NAD is also okay if you spend less than $1K. $1K or more, I would go with the amps that I have mentioned earlier.

Save up so that you can move up to the real mid fi electronics. You wil be more content.

Good luck.
Mr. Valinar

My estimate was a little bit off but all I am saying is that if you spend less on amplification for these great monitors, the sound will be somewhat dull.

Btw, what do you Gs think of the Dynaudio Audience 72/72SE?

Thanks

Mr. Knownothing

I have listened to the old Audience 50 but was not very impressed, probably because it was driven by some AVR midgets. You are right when you give them a high current pre/pro combo, the Dynaudio really open up.

I am saving up for a pair of Dynaudio 72 and if I come across a great deal, I may step up to the 72SE.

To serve a dual purpose room (music/HT), do you think that a Denon AVR midget can provide the Dynaudio 72/72SE enough juice for a small apartment living room?

Thank you kind sir.
Mr. Knownothing

I am not a big fan of the AV receiver so that's why I call them midget. Sorry:-))

Totem Forest (8 ohms) have the Chinese driver but not the Totem Model 1 and the Mani 2 (4 ohms). That Chinese company is selling their speakers online under the name Swan. The headquarter of that company is based in LA. That much I know.

We never see people line up in New York or LA to buy a pair of Totem Rainmaker or a pair of Dynaudio Focus. It did not happen, does not happen, and will not happen.

But people will camp out at night in front of those APPLE stores for a $199 I Phone V2 and they will download music for their I Pod shuffle or whatever... They don't listen to music the way we do. I guess Chinese made or not and we like it or not, our hobby soon will be gone with time.
Vandersteen is a very good speaker for the money. The bass could hit real low and for music listening, you don't need a powered sub.

Agreed with you on the Totem Model 1, treble is a bit too hot and exaggerated. Imaging is superb but very finicky with placement, stand, amplification, and source....got so frustrated that I ended up selling the Model 1 for less than half what I paid for them.

May I ask what kind of Dyn monitors that you have sir? I have auditioned the Audience 52SE. Smooth high, great mid range and tight bass. The Audience 72SE is also a great pair.

If you ever want to dump your Dynaudio, kindly let me know sir:-)) I would buy them from you...