Dynaudio Focus 110.....Integrated amp????

Over the last year I have had several pairs of reasonably good Hi Fi speakers, Merlin's, Fritz Carbon 7, and Dynaudio Focus 110. The Focus 110 is my favorite based on my room size and listening habits. I have run into a bit of a problem though....amplification. For two years now I have been happy with the entry level Nad 356 Bee. It's musical rather than clinical, has heavy bass, and decent sound stage, and it does a good job driving the 110's. I have decided though that I want more transparency, tighter bass, and bigger soundstage with better highs. Recently I bought a Marantz PM 8004 and was blown away by the huge soundstage, warm detailed midrange, and extended highs. Up until this amp I have hated an extended upper range. I though I had found the perfect amp until I started to pay attention to the bass....it's just not there. After trying out several T and class D amps, the Virtue M9001, 30 Watt Nuforce, and Nad D7050 I am convinced that 110's need a lot of power or an amp that has a large damping factor. The Virtue, Nuforce, and Nad have very large damping factors and control the 110's very we'll putting out lots of tight bass at moderate listening levels. What I am hoping for is that maybe there is a Marantz PM 8004 type amp with the bass control of a class D amp. I'm open to any suggestions, would maybe upgrading to the PM-14S1 do the job??
djverne

Showing 4 responses by djverne

I have the Nad D 7050 which is suppose to have the same sound signature as that amp but less power. It has oodles of tight bass and big sound stage but the Highs are rolled off and it sounds artificial, not much of sound upgrade over the Nad 356 BEE which I actually like alot for the price. The Marantz however is much more refined, detailed, and pleasant, just lacking in low end control. I had originally considered the Nad 390dd but went with the 7050 first to see if I would like the sound.
Got a Exposure 2010s2 a few days ago....wow. This is definitely a different type of sound. Tons and tons of low end control.Review to follow!!
This amp is so punchy and fast... The best way I can describe it with the 110's is snappy and extremely dynamic. Forward sounding is another term that comes to mind. As you turn the volume up the sound stage grows in width and height, but the sound also crawls to you dynamically in depth.... No so great if ya have a sleeping 10 month old : ( I have heard the the term hard sounding used to describe this amp...I think this is accurate with some source material, speaker dependent, and room acoustics sometimes. The sound is liquid smooth but can be hard if the source material is laking in micro dynamics. I can't help to think how well this would pair with Merlin speakers if you are not wanting to go the tube route. Punchy and rhythmic at lower levels.. can't see imagine Naim Xs being more rhythmic. I"m on the fence.... I miss the high freq detail and warm midrange of the Marantz pm 8004,but the exposure is so punchy and gripping as you turn the volume up. Maybe I will use the Marantz pm 8004 as a preamp to the exposure and see what sound I get .... : o
wanted to add to this thread even though its almost 3 years later. I have found my amp zen. I moved up the ladder to the Exposure 3010 S2 and paired it with the a LDR Passive Preamp from Tortuga Audio. I am very happy.