Dynaudio Excite X16 vs. Dynaudio Focus 140

Hi,

Anyone compare these two models?

What did you think?

Thanks
mezzanine

Showing 7 responses by prdprez

I'm not sure what exactly "DedicatedAudio" was getting at but the whole "fun factor" is a load of bull.

There are three basic differences between these two models. And these three things dictate the difference in cost.
A) Cabinet. The Focus is more rigid.
B) Drivers. The Focus uses the Esotec2 Tweeter with a neodymium magnet. This tweeter's response is nearly identical to their incredible Esotar2.
C) Crossover. The Focus crossover uses superior parts selection as well as including more elaborate impedance correcting circuits. So it is incorrect to claim that the Focus is more difficult to drive. It may have slightly less sensitivity but it is NOT more difficult to drive.

All of these things add up to significantly improved performance.

To put things into perspective.... Short of the ultra elaborate cabinet that goes with the Focal Utopia Diablo, all the parts that go into the Focus are on par with that level of speaker. Literally. And at a fraction of the cost.

Bottom line. The Excite is outstanding but if you can afford the Focus you absolutely will not regret the extra cost.

(Honestly, I would expect a "Dealer" to know these things off the top of their head. hmmmmm)
"The entire Focus line has been designed to play bigger and deeper than their cabinet and drivers should allow".

Do you understand how silly that sounds from an engineering perspective or from mere common sense? My guess would be no.

If speakers could be designed to sound bigger and deeper than their cabinet should allow then why on earth would something as big as the largest Utopia exist?
Or maybe you are implying a little bump in the frequency response in the bottom octave? Nope, doesnt have that either. Or certainly not any more than a typical floorstanding speaker.

I was also a salesman for both Dynaudio and Focal and the "problem" is that I dont think you know what you are talking about. Thats all.
Bottom line to my point.
Both speakers are within 1Hz specification on their frequency response and within 1dB on their sensitivity. Both of these differences amount to nothing in practical application.

Therefor the real differences were as I stated.
Namely:
-The Focus benefits from better drivers.
-The Focus benefits from better cabinet construction.
-And, most noteworthy and contrary to what was said the Focus benefits from impedance correction circuitry which actually makes it and EASIER load on an amplifier. Or, in the very least, more consistent from one amplifier to the next.

These are the answers I would hope to hear from an actual dealer. Not obtuse stuff like "fun factor". Especially when it isnt even based on practical reality.
Not to be a bugger about all this. But..........
I stand by my statement on the tweeter as well.

Note how I distinctly pointed out the "neodymium" aspect of the Esotec tweeter.
Neodymium motor systems are significantly more expensive than iron core which also accounts for a difference in cost. It doesnt matter that the Excite is an "esotec" under a different name. They are different tweeters.
WHICH, goes to the point of my whole response. There are concrete and legitimate reasons as to why the Focus is superior to the Excite and also why it costs significantly more.
It is simply my opinion that these are better answers to give rather than a non-existent "bass hump".
True, all Dynaudio speakers use impedance correction. But if you look at the actual circuits it's easy to see that the implementation becomes more complex as you go up the lines.

I have the schematics for both of these speakers sitting around here somewhere. But it's a matter of simple fact that there are more and better parts in the Focus line.
Which, once again, was my point.
Jdec, The capacitors in the Focus are all Solen film type. The Excite are a combination of Bennic electrolytic and BC film.
The coils in the Focus are all air core while the Excite will have at least one iron core coil.
And the resistors in the Focus are ceramic but they are chosen for their resistence to temperature drift. The ones in the Excite are your basic ceramic types.
Hope that helps.
My preferences are with Dynaudio. Focal makes some very nice stuff. But whenever it came head to head I had a much easier time selling Dynaudio.
And, for what it's worth, I sold a lot of speakers to individual members of the local symphony. Every single one of them purchased Dynaudio.