Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE vs. Contour 140

A'goners - love the 1.3 SEs, and thinking about sourcing a pair for an office system. Anyone have experience with both the 1.3SEs AND the 140s. I would be interested in your impressions of one versus the other. Thanks.
cbd0815

Showing 3 responses by prdprez

I'm going to assume that you meant the Focus 140, since there isn't such as thing as a Contour 140.........

While normally I will recommend the higher level Dynaudio over a lower, this case is different.

The Contour 1.3 uses an older Esotec tweeter that has a ferrite magnet. The newer Focus 140 uses the updated tweeter that sports a neodymium magnet.
It is my opinion that this balances the advantage the 1.3 has in it's fancier cabinet.
Thus, given the relative pricing, I would lean towards the Focus 140. It's going to have at least the performance of the 1.3, maybe even better depending on the room and rest of system.
With all due respect, Keithr doesnt know what he is talking about.
It's not just the magnet that makes the tweeter in the Focus better, it also happens to be an entirely newer generation. And, yes, the magnet DOES matter. It allows two very important things in this case. 1)the range is extended beyond 20kHz. 2) the impulse response is sharper and cleaner. So, yes, it does make a difference.

The fact of the matter is that the 1.3se is a full two generations behind the Focus 140.
Thats just the facts. If we were comparing the Contour 1.4 things might be a little different. But even the 1.4 uses a ferrite magnet structure on the tweeter.

The entire Focus line was a bridge between the old Audience line and the Contour line. It's basically using the same quality guts but with less elaborate cabinetry.

But like he said, go ahead and call Dynaudio. I know the guys pretty well. I'm confident they will tell you the same things I've said.
FFS!
Ya try to keep things simple and people's little minds just gotta try and prove ya wrong.

Look, I could have gone into some serious detail but figured it would just make people's eyes glaze over.

The bottom line is this, the Focus tweeter is superior to the 1.3 tweeter. DO IN LARGE PART TO THE LESS RESTRICTED SPACE BEHIND THE DOME WITHOUT THE FERRITE MAGNET BEING USED, the impulse response is cleaner. I've measured samples of them both and there is no changing of this fact, despite people's excited ability to cut and paste marketing.
The woofers used in both models are equal in measured performance standards.
The crossover parts and circuit are of equal complexity and value.
The primary difference between these two models is the cabinet and faceplate. Other than that their performance levels are close enough to warrant taking a serious look at the Focus.
Why is it so hard to understand that companies make continual improvements on products even to the point of a lesser expensive model surpassing and older more expensive model? Does anyone remember the Wilson Sophia when it first came out? It was universally believed to be better than the current (at the time) W/P7! Geez.

One last thing. For those internet savvy people who like to cut and paste. Get your google out and look up the Dynaudio "Foccus" (And NO, I did not spell that wrong!)
I'll give ya the punchline....... What is now the Dynaudio Focus 140 began life as the Dynaudio Foccus kit speaker which was designed as a premium two way stand mounted monitor. If you look deep enough you might even be able to find the original crossover circuit diagram. And then, if you had access to the 140, you could compare the two.
Guess what? I have.

But you know what, this thread has become ridiculous.
Here is the bottom line in a maybe more palatable way of saying it.........
The Focus140 is a serious speaker that has the ability to perform beyond it's pricepoint. It's performance is such that I would not recommend spending the money on a Contour 1.3SE without auditioning them both seriously AND taking into account which one has the better price/performance ratio.
There. Done and done.