Dynamic compression in speakers themselves?

The primary audio characteristics I want to achieve in my system is an open, uncompressed, unstrained, and highly dynamic presentation.  What I don't know much about is how much speakers can or do contribute to loss of dynamics and impact.  I have a very powerful amp, but it seems that when I increase the volume, yes, the speakers get louder, but perhaps not commensurate with the increase in the volume control.  I do think I understand that this type of presentation is more easily achieved with larger scale speakers, but even with my large speakers, I feel something is wanting. 

I guess my question is, what factors contribute to any compression occurring in the speakers themselves?  Also, can the age of a speaker cause a loss of dynamics?  Mine are ~20 years old.  I'm thinking to get new speakers in the foreseeable future, so I'd like to understand more about this.  This question is in regard to traditional dynamic speakers.
mtrot
@ alkaloid

Makes sense.  Here is the info on my amp, which is Krell FPB 400cx.  Specifications are on page 22 of the document.  I think I'm good for most any speaker, which is why I'm now moving on to researching speakers and what factors of speaker design have an effect on great dynamics.

http://www.krellonline.com/assets/support/0162_020_MAN.pdf

Enter your text ...Yes you have the amplification covered quite well.

Just get busy auditioning different brand speakers and that's it. Yes 20 yrs does make a difference. Especially if driven hard. I did a lot of research a while back and bumped int a company that makes a machine to measure cone breakup using laser dopplar. I also bumped into a company called Accuton. They make the kind of quality I think you are looking for. I didn't look any further because the speakers are out of my league. Your amp has the power, now you have to get a no compromise speaker that can handle the signal. Get the checkbook ready.Can't wait to see what you end up with.

Thanks.  Lol, my wife and I took in the Doobie Brothers concert here tonight.  It was great, but.....  well, as soon as they started playing, I immediately developed a severe inferiority complex with regard to my speakers!  The power and immediacy of the guitars and drums shots was amazing.  Yeah, I understand that a home system is not going to match that, and I wouldn't want to listen for much time at those levels.  But, it sort of informs you of what "good" is, with respect to dynamic sound.
Yeah, I understand that a home system is not going to match that
Sure it can.
Post removed