Dynaco ST-70/PAS 3 Rebuild.

Hello, I am considering the above combo, this will be my intro to tube amps. I had planned on going with the total rebuild kits from Van Alstine. What is your honest opinion on this route, what interconnects and speakers do you suggest for this combo with classical music at lower levels in a 13 by 15 room ??? I have also considered a CAL Audio ICON II for a CD player, are the Wadia's really that much better???
curtis1
Hello Curtis: Regarding the Dyna 70. I have used the AVA kit in 3 70s. Have to say I do not really care for it that much. It is definately a nice kit and I believe well engineered. IMHO it restricts some information that, like it or not, I like to have there. I have also used the Triode Electronics board and prefer that to the AVA. It's much cheaper also and I believe retains a more classic 70 sound. The 30+ yr old 70 is definately in need of some help if stock. Way out of spec parts. I have rebuilt 1/2 dozen stock boards with all new close tolerance parts and it sure cleans up the original sound. IMHO again go with a board and under deck parts replacement with new wiring. Cheap and effective. Pretty educational also.
I agree with the above post. I too have rebuilt these amps and would also look into the Joe Curcio board for the ST-70 .Curcio designed all the original Sonic Frontiers amps and if you are looking for a rebuild with GOOD bass response and very clean extended highs, check it out . The curcio board gives it a very Modern sound using 6dj8s, not at all traditional 60s Dyna however. on the web at Curcio audio engineering. He also offers a board that does away with the tube rectifiers, which you will hear alot of controversy about.
CURTIS, IDID THE PAS 3 MOD BACK IN 97 TO MY PRE.I USE IT EVERY DAY ON MY WORK BENCH.I WENT WITH THE COMPLETE MOD.IT MAKES VERY NICE MUSIC WITH SOME VERY GOOD TUBES. ONLY AS GOOD AS THE TUBES.