DUNTECH SOVEREIGN 2001 vs C7000

Doe's anybody have any infomation on the difference between the two models and what do you think about the speaker itself?! I can't find any reviews of this speaker anywhere even though it's been around since 1982?!

THX!!
Paul
ptheo1
I have driven the Duntech Sovereign with a pair of VTL ichiban  150 watt triodes after using AR 300,Sectral and other Solid state amps. I feel the EL34 tube is ideal and could  recommend only the Rosenblitz 300w OTL amps as an alternative. I have access to many exotic, high end speakers and driver combinations and the only combination to challenge these could be the Tannoy WRSE speaker if the room is of sufficient volume and dimension.
I can't answer too much of what you asked, but I'd suggest wait till the speakers come in and see how they sound with the Adcom, then go from there. The newer model may be an easier load than the old Sovereigns. I know of people on this site who drive Dunlavy SC-Vs (the next generation of John Dunlavy's design that most closely equates to the Sovereign) with the 100wpc Aloia amp with great success, so don't get all hung up on power, the Theta would probably work well. You could also ask the folks at Duntech what they'd suggest (I wouldn't be surprised to hear Plinius mentioned; after all, they are Australian) for some ideas as well.
Sorry it took me so long to respond...went camping.

I have a new-(in the crate) 1998 C7000 on the way. Got a GREAT deal. I feel like I'm going from the minor league to the pros now!

The long wall is going to be tough for me since I have a fireplace on one side and a window on the other. Also since the DS are 34" deep. And I want to keep them a three feet from the back wall, that 6 feet right there. 17'W-6'=11'. So I'll be against the the wall listening to them! No way.

The amp I'm using right now is a Adcom-5800(I have two). Too minor league for the DS I'm sure(Although it does have a damping spec of >1000). I'm looking at buying a used Theta Dreadenaught multi channel amp. Read great things about it. But I'm worried that 200-watts per channel won't be enough juice for the monsters. I want a multi for future HT. The DS come first though..if a Spectral or Krell makes that much of a differance(if heard the Spectral is very fast and the Krell has great bass) than the Theta multi, than I'll get the best(within budget..ha!).
Question- Does a 600watt amp sound have triple the power and triple the control of a 200watt amp? Why do some hi-end amp have a low damping spec like 100? What about the new digital(slim and cool running) amp that are coming out?

Thanks!!
Look forward to the reply.
Paul
Rc: correct.
Keith ran all Spectral electronics, all MIT cabling, lotsa power. Nothing sloppy about the sound at all.
I'm pretty sure the slowness in the bass is an amplifier problem--although the Sovereign was nominally an easy load to drive, it was not so in the bass. As far as your room size goes, that should about do it--you might try them on the long wall, toed in to the listening position, that's where Dunlavy suggests for his speakers and the Sovereigns are his original design. Just make sure you give them enough juice and they'll sing--another amp that may work well with them might be Spectral, I think Keith Johnson of Reference Recordings used the Sovereigns with Spectral electronics for a number of years. The older Sovereigns were very tolerant of solid state amps which might have sounded a little thin in other applications; don't know about the newer ones. Do you have a new pair on the way or an older pair?
Thanks for the excellent reply! What I mean by the 'C7000' that is the current model as of 1996?. The 2001 are the older model.

It's 'bass heavy and slow', isn’t that a ported design term. You would think being that it's an acoustic suspension design, that it’s very tight and controlled. With such fast transient response advertised, it would be tight/fast/smack you in the jaw rock solid! Must be an amp problem (damping=control) or like you said, to small of a room. Mine room is 25'L-17'W-8'H. Is that going to be big enough to let them 'breathe'?!I have a pair on the way.....:)
I'm only familiar with the Sovereign. In terms of size and weight, as well as frequency extension, it is similar to the Dunlavy SC-V, also designed by the same man and utilizing a similar array of drivers (not the same drivers, though). It is a speaker that needs to be listened to from a distance of 10-15 feet for the drivers to integrate, in my view, and definitely needs an amp that can give it enough current to control its bass drivers, which could sound quite slow if not properly driven (it sounded quite good with early Krell KMA 200s and KRS amps, as well as the Cello Performance amps, and I know happy owners who used ARC M300s, Rowland Model 7s and the Crown Macro Reference with them). The Sovereign seemed to be a little rolled off in the highs and very full and lush in the midrange, and was (and still is) capable of outstanding performance in the right room (think big) and with the right amplification. It's a speaker that some people love and some think is bass heavy and slow (I'd blame setup for that) and therefor hate, but in my view its strength is that it does a great job of conveying the weight and soul of the music. The only review I recall of the Sovereign here in the states was in the late 80s/early 90s, when Harry Pearson got a pair at TAS and gave them a lukewarm, "great in their time, but in need of an update" review that spawned a large sell-off of these speakers in the Audiomart for as low as $4-5000. I don't know what Duntech has done to change the Sovereign over the years, but I agree with something I read in a John Marks column that a person who bought a pair of Sovereigns and Rowland amps back in the late 80s could have ignored audio changes in the past 15 years and be happily enjoying his system today. A classic speaker, in my view. Hope this was of some help; wish I could tell you about the C7000, but haven't heard it.