Dumped the rack

So I have a steel spiked Sound Organization table about 2 feet tall. On it rests a 3" maple butcher block. On that rests my slate Garrard 401 with slate feet and aluminum cones.
I had a piece of granite made and installed it on the maple beneath the turntable. Man, that sounded bad. Silvery colored and dull. I reversed the layer order and put the granite below the maple. That sounded a lot better. But not as good as when there was no granite. So I took it back out. Okay back to how it was. But something was missing. The granite did bring a feeling of stability to the image. What to do? I took the whole rack thing out of the equation and put the 401 on the concrete floor along with the preamp. This sounded best notwithstanding the wooden tone lost by removal of the maple. But the best thing, and I’m aware of the effect from reading but never tried it, was that imaging has improved by quite a margin. Like removing a veil of something. Like when someone moves their head out of your face at a concert. Now, I have to bend down to play records. 
128x128noromance
The small problem is that the slate plinth is 2" thick and the Garrard is about 6" high so I have to raise the slate up on 1.5" x 3" slate feet. The plinth rests on three 3/4" aluminum cones which in turn sit on the slate feet. Would the Super Stiff Springs work under the 3" maple?
Yes. The Super Stiff Springs are very stable under load even when the center of gravity is on the high side. 
The issue some seem to have (without even trying them) is the fear of the springs leaning. This is a non-issue. If one wants to look closer at my system, I recessed the springs 1/8" into the receiving base platform and upper platform, negating any worry of spring leaning, or spring sliding.
On the subject of leaning and level-ness, the rear right side of my plinth is a lot heavier than the front left side...
No problem. One or two springs can be moved a bit manually to distribute the load uniformly and obtain absolute level of the platter. This is also an issue for many amps that have one or two large transformers on one side.