Duh-Forgetting Hifi Basics 101-crossovers

OK.Sold hi-end for 6 years.Said a lot of stupid stuff here maybe occasionally something with some salience (yeah yeah -don't replay "Don't be on it chazz-I can imagine).But now spacing on bi-amp basics.Know if you have mono conversion switch you can double power vertically.And remember that horizontally you can get 150 wpc summed power from two amps.Also know that one needs level control if using two different amp putting out n different amounts of current and this is feature of many crossovers.But if using identical amps and hooking one amp to tweeter posts and one to bass posts (or tri-amping) and removing jumper why is it that one needs x-over to to limit full range signal being sent from being sent to either set of drivers.
Isn't the the crossover still in the signal path creating it's high low pass?And if I need a means to low/high pass how can I do this as cheaply as possible.Amps are either two Denon 1500's (150 wpc) or PS Audio Delta's at 100 wpc.Neither can be converted to mono for vertical bi-amping and think though this is done many times for greater power yet I think better results are are gotten through going horizontal.
Cheapest and lest efficient (power robbing) wold be passive in line filters between pre and amps.But this set up is not worth cost of a Bryston 10B or a Marchand tube unit.
So 1) why with same amps do I need a x-over and 2) what's cheapest way to hook up my amps and two ways yet retains acceptable sound quality i.e. best cost to perfromace ratio.It's been a long time since I have thought about issue and through i was explained to me as a kid before I worked in shop (where we rarely set up bi-amp set ups.This is embarrassing it's so basic so be gentle as I struggle with early on set Alzheimers.
chazzbo

Showing 0 responses by bob_reynolds