Duelund conversion to DIY Helix Geometry Cabling

I have been an avid user of the Duelund cabling for over two years now and have used them exclusively in my system with great results. I have built many for friends and have used a full loom of interconnects, speaker cables, power cords and an extensive wiring modification for a previously owned balanced power conditioner utilizing Duelund 600V PolyCast wiring which was transformative. My cabling desires can be a little addictive as I have owned and evaluated 40+ brands of cabling costing more than an entire stereo system!

Over the past six months I stumbled upon a thread here on Audiogon in regards to a Helix designed cabling and as you probably already know, I just had to look a little deeper into this cable design…After a month of studying and sourcing parts, I decided to reach out to the designer/architect, Williewonka who gave more insights and philosophy on how the cable came into existence.

That conversation got the ball rolling in converting one of my KLE Duelund interconnects to Steve’s Helix designed which only entailed replacing the neutral with a Mil-Spec 16 AWG silver-plated copper wire with the neural wire being 3 times longer than the signal wire and of course the “Coiling” of the neutral wire : )

After the modification was complete, I was not sure what to expect from the Helix cabling but I was quite shocked with the results with “ZERO” burn-in time…The sound stage became much wider/deeper with a much tighter/focused image and clarity/transparency is like nothing I have ever heard in any cabling regardless of cost. In fact, I just sold a full loom of a commercially designed Helix Cable that’s renowned around the world and has more direct sale than any cable manufacturer; these $200 DIY Helix Cables walked all over them…

I believe you will hear the same results as I have and have heard back from friends who have already modified their Duelunds with the same results; WOW! Remember the cables will need 200+ hours to burn-in and settle into your system. My system is now 90% DIY Helix to include IC, SC, PC and Coax with each cabling adding its beauty of an organic and natural presentation that draws you into the fabric of the music.

You can tailor the sound of your cables using Duelund, Mundorf silver/1% gold, the outstanding Vh Audio OCC Solid Copper or Silver with Airlok Insulation or your favorite wiring and you can change it at any time…

http://www.image99.net/blog/files/category-diy-cables.html

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/difference-in-sound-between-copper-and-silver-digital-cables

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/adding-shielding-to-existing-cables

Enjoy,

Wig

128x128wig
@b_mueller  - Thanks for the feedback,   especially pertaining to the use ferrites - good to know.

I've seen other posts that promote them, but I have never used them on my audio system cables.

Cheers - Steve
QUICK UPDATE: I’ve just replaced the live conductor in my 11 ft Helix Geometry extension cable, with a 12 gauge solid copper wire from Neotech
- the wire replaced was 12 gauge Duelund tinned copper with polycast insulation

I purchased the wire from HiFi collective...
https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wire/soct-neotech-solid-core-copper-wire.html

"Neotech`s SOCT type wire is 99.999% high purity UP-OCC copper solid core wire, sheathed in red, heat resistant Teflon. Can be used for speaker wire, mains cable and general hook up wire"

I removed the Teflon insulation and inserted the bare wire into a cotton sleeve to reduce the Dielectric Constant to around 1.3 - down from 2.1 of teflon

The wire is quite stiff, i.e. compared to 4 strands of the 18 gauge Solid copper from VH Audio that I have used in other power cables, but since the description states it is suitable for power cables I assume it is pliable enough to take some reasonable amount of flexing without breaking

The immediate results were quite noticeable
- improved clarity and dynamics
- improved control and a little deeper bottom end.

Now I’m not about to replace the live conductors in my heavier duty cables, but if anyone is constructing new power cables, this wire works out to be a little more affordable and I believe it would perform a little better than the wire from VH Audio, due to it being a single conductor.

My reasoning:
- The wire from VH Audo is 18 gauge, so it requires 4 strands to make a 12 gauge live conductor.

From this link: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wire-gauges-d_419.html
- 12 gauge single core current carrying capacity = 34 amps
- 12 gauge 4-6 core current carrying capacity = 16 amps

So there should be improvements in the handling of transient peaks.

Initially, I only used stranded wires, for improved flexibility, but it is quite evident that solid wire is superior, i.e. provided you take reasonable care when flexing (no tight 90 degree bends)

Regards - Steve.

Steve - Thanks for posting. 

It is also good to know that there are numerous options available to make a good power cord. 
Haven't visited this thread in a while so unaware of IC recipe. I will have to build some double barrel IC's with the vh audio airlock.
I built my first Helix pc perhaps a year ago, easily heard upgrade over Shunyata Python and Vh audio Airsines I was using. At this point I'm using Helix pc on every major component in system, everyone added only further upgrades sound quality. Originally, I was using Duelund AC rated on hot, started noticing a bit of darkening, rounded bass, highs rolled. Replaced Duelund with Vh audio airlock, lightened up on bass, opened up top end a bit, sound a bit more refined, greater resolution.

Whether built with Duelund or Airlock, the most noticeable improvement heard over many other pc's I've tried over the years is the amazing transparency, never heard pc's sound so open. A couple of differences in my recipe are cryo versions of Parts connexion connex ac plugs and bare wire attachment at ac plug. I use two runs of airlock in source components, four runs for tube amps.

Thanks to Steve for a really great diy recipe, easily best diy recipe for anything audio related I've experienced in many a year in audio. Having auditioned many high end pcs over the years, I can't really recall any I wanted to use on entire system. These are so natural in timbre, tonality, really very little coloration.
Received a Helix power cord today, constructed as follows:

6ft with 20amp Furutech CF IEC and a 15amp Male CF (Like Furutech)
5 Strands of Copper Solid Core VH Audio. Black Wire Coil with Single White Ground.

Plugs from a Maestro Duplex into an Inakustik AC-3500P, the main PC for my rig.

Sound from top to bottom is even quieter and more startlingly real.

These Helix cables are seriously off the hook.