Duelund CAST silver a $50,000 Upgrade?

Duelund CAST silver Capicitor upgrade 50K??
I've ordered some speakers and asked about upgrading to Deulund's silver foil CAST capacitor and inductor a listed option on my speaker. dc10audio got back to me with 50K $50,000.00 dollars extra over the copper that's already included in my speaker!!

How the hell is that even possible?? And if I could and I can't afford the extra would it be worth it? Am I going to see Jesus with the silver or what?

Steve
berkelyaudiogeek
Post removed 
Don't kid yourself. You might not even like it as much as stock. Order them and please let us know.
Do the Mini's come stock with Duelund Cast copper caps, or was it an added charge? If so, what was the upchrge for the Cast copper?
According to the website I don't think CAST copper is an option for the mini probably due to the size of the CAST caps I've heard that they are very large though I've not actually ever seen one.
looks like you can upgrade to Mundorf's silver/oil or silver/oil/gold on the mini check wiring link on the website. My pair is stock except for the resonator and I'm trilled with them.
Too funny!!! But i am still a little disappointed I thought we had a bad economy? perhaps just my economy.
You have to guesstimate how many ounces of silver they would need? Then how many hours of craftsman time it would require, since I doubt these are are frabricated by some automated process. Even then it is hard to believe they would cost anywhere near that figure. Sounds like hefty margins are being made at several stages.
Assuming that the same labour is required for both the Copper and Silver CAST caps, for a $50K upcharge to silver over copper, there must be around 120lbs of silver used. Yea, I would say a bit of a margin is built in.
I was hoping to match my silver internal wire with silver caps and inductor. Knowing how expensive CAST copper is I was prepared for a 3-5K upgrade for the silver which to me makes sense.
Look at the bright side, the copper Duelund CAST will likely outperform all but the silver version.So you're still doing very well.
Regards,
There comes a point wear you just have to say no. Cap's that cost 50,000 no. I think I should wait for Cardas to come out with Pure Silver binding posts for 10,000.00.
I'm fine with the copper CAST in-fact thrilled to have such great components in my new speakers and for my system copper is appropriate! If you have some voodoo mega-bucks pure silver transformed amps built by Japanese monks well then silver is a no brainer.

There must be more to it than just the metal when it comes to the CAST in silver.
It makes one appreciate the tremendous value of the CAST copper foil product being how copper CAST is without peer.

Q
Its not worth that much - forget about it.

The best speakers I have ever heard, some of which with a few extra tweaks like external crossovers and Bybees, cost $13.5k and they use 10 gauge air core inductors, have the cabinet lined with 1/4 inch copper and use Duelund Cast Copper capacitors. $50k for cast silver is silly and knowing guys that have a lot of knowledge about Duelund its debatable if the silver sounds better. Even with the tweaks the entire speaker is costing $15k.

Instead of doing that go around and hear different speakers - I hear good things about Rockport and you are likely to have money left over. Unfortunately the speakers I am getting are really an Australian thing and unless you are in Australia its unlikely you will get a chance to hear them - but in case you are or can get out to Australia they are Lenehan Audio ML2 Limited..

Thanks
Bill
I'm sure I would like Lenehan Audio too! I alway's wanted Dunlavy's back in the day! I think dc10 has a similar idea to Dunlavy with minimal filter but drivers chosen for their clean roll off thus delivering more detail. Looks to me are very impotant too very very important and I don't like the looks of the rockports.
Hi Berkelyaudiogeek

Don't worry about this time aligned first order crossover thing. I know a speaker maker who built two speakers identical in every way except one was first order time aligned and the other not. He could detect nothing - nada - from the exercise. He has however found that phase coherency through the crossover pass-band was important and uses a third order quasi crossover to do that.

My advice is not to worry about that sort of thing and judge a speaker by what you hear not how they do it.

Thanks
Bill
The Duelund site offers pricing for their Copper version.
Their Silver version pricing is available upon request.
Hello, no offence but are you off your rocker? Answer this question by first answering do you even have fifty thousand dollars worth of acoustic treatment applied to your listening room?
Chill out I only asked about upgrading I'm sticking with the included CAST copper foil like I said I cannot pay an extra $50K for something no one can eve measure!
So no one out there can explain the huge difference in price from CAST copper foil to silver? It surly is not just the metal.
As far as I know the Deulund CAST differ only in choice of metal foil used.Other than that distinction all else is identical.
then why is silver 12 times more $$$

It's not. I suspect your speaker manufacture decided they didn't want to bother with yet one more option that would need to be purchased and tested before responsibly selling. Sounds like they just pulled the number out of their rear to make it go away.
If that's the case and I hope not! I'll find out be emailing Deulund in Denmark and asking for prices on silver foil.
Germanboxers is spot on.

My advice is forget about them - get some other speakers or get it upgraded elsewhere.

There is only one way to treat that type - go elsewhere.

Thanks
Bill
Berkely,
I have the copper CAST capacitor installed in my speakers and also a pair as coupling caps in my DAC.Their effect is undeniably significant. I can't phantom you'd be disappointed by any stretch of imagination . They're the epitome of purity, honestly and natural sound.I believe you'll love their contribution.
Regards,
Hi Charles, I know your right everyone has said CAST copper is a revolution. I guess I'm just a little disappointed by dc10 as they have made the Grand Voix speaker come with the CAST silver as standard and the copper as a cheaper alternative after i placed my order I thought i was getting the top model and i just don't see how the math can be correct. I want the silver but for 3-5K upgrade not 30-50K.
So it's not margin I found out that the 15" alnico woofers cost more than all the drivers combined in another speaker I was considering if it's a mark-up deal it at Deulund not dc10
"Sounds like they just pulled the number out of their rear to make it go away.”

Germanboxers, that is a very reasonable proposition thatÂ’s contradicted by this:
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-dc10audio-instrument-8ps-loudspeaker-for-refrence-tube-amplification-2013-03-09-speakers-87507-santa-fe-nm

Phaelon - it does appear from that ad that I may be mistaken, but I can't help but think there is something else to this...sanity for one.
Mountainhigh & Berkley- would you please stop pushing down dc10. Its not funny anymore..
Amazed at the desperation of some people.. some brands. But have to applaud for being able to push on this far before someone else blew the cover. There's more elegant ways to doing sales around here, be upfront, put on a disclaimer, its not all that difficult!
Why are you people so paranoid? Is it because audiogon is exclusively a vendor's forum?
I am not mountain high..besides, who cares anyway and I'm not bashing dc10 I'm a customer. The only bashing I've seen was from vapor1 perhaps he is mountain high?

Steve B
Berkely did purchase the speaker. Questioning the substantial premium for the Duelund silver CAST upgrade is not bashing in my opinion.
Berk, I think J_fav was bashing DC10 audio about Chinese drivers or something but would't doubt it's the same camp. One hit, two hit wonders with zero feedback or no longer registered users are suspect of other mfgr's either cheerleading or bashing another brand. You are dead on with your bashing comment but I think that was towards Evolution Acoustics. Still a vendor bashing another vendor.
Thanks Charles!

I'm fine with my choice and know the copper foil represents the state-of-the-art my only wish is that Duelund in Denmark take a look at their pricing and make the CAST silver foil a viable option for people.
after a bit of looking at past posts it does look like vapor and mountain could be the same..Why are they so busy bashing dc10?
Here have a look!

AudiogoN Forums: Vapor Cirrus Black vs dc10 Berlin Studio Monitor
10-29-12 Rebbi, jp1208, and vapor 1 same poster.. what's vapor worrie ... Mountain-high 10-29-12 Cause he's mountain high? just be aware that he sells dc10 s ...
forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1346960909&... - Cached
10-19-12: Vapor1 Mountain-high ... and vapor 1 same poster.. what's vapor worrie ... Mountain-high 10-29-12 Cause he's mountain high? just be aware that he sells dc10 ...
Vapor1 10-19-12 Mountain-high, i was at rmaf and heard dc10audio system and ... ... jp1208, and vapor 1 same poster.. what's vapor worrie ... Mountain-high
Vapor1 10-19-12 Mountain-high, i was at rmaf and heard dc10audio system and ... ... jp1208, and vapor 1 same poster.. what's vapor worrie ... Mountain-high
forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1346960909&openflup&3 - Cached
And another.. Vapor1, Mountain high, rebbi how many others?

Any of you heard the Vapor Audio Cirrus or Breeze?, posted on August 16, 2012 at 06:58:10
villastrangiato
Schumacher,

You might have carte blanche over at the Parts Express website to spew technically incorrect non sense, self promotion, and abrasive blather but there are specific rules that go along with using this website - to wit:

"A member of the trade may not volunteer any information about a specific product that he is selling or making, in response to a general request for information about a type of product or in any other discussion.

A trade member may not post announcements, advertisements, sales information or the like about a product he makes or sells."

You just violated both of the above. As for my comments concerning Vapor Audio, there are no "two sides" to what I posted. The sole proprietorship that is Vapor Audio consists of Ryan Scott who has no formal education or background in engineering. Given some of the rambling non sense you've put forth over on Parts Express, your formal education appears to be somewhat lacking as well:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?225045-Impact-of-Helmholtz-Tuning-Ratio-on-Response

For Dennis to take the rather unusual step of posting on several forums messages begging Ryan to contact him over the return of a loaned amp speaks volumes by itself. I simply stated that that situation was amusing. Knowing a fair amount about you and your association with Ryan - that situation made perfect sense and came as no surprise.

Anyone can make pretty boxes and stuff them with expensive drivers. I've been to most of the North American shows and have heard just about everything that is available on the market. A lot of pretty boxes with expensive drivers that sound no better than a garden variety PSB, Paradigm, or B&W speaker. Beyond the pretty boxes and expensive components, I found nothing extraordinary in listening to Ryan's speakers - certainly nothing consistent with the hype you've given them in your second post (pure unpaid advertising blather) on thi
Yet another:

Any of you heard the Vapor Audio Cirrus or Breeze?, posted on July 30, 2012 at 05:23:12
villastrangiato
He's a meteorologist from Missouri that became an "expert" loudspeaker builder with a DIY website education... What more do you need to know?

The bit about the amplifier he "borrowed" that seems to have "vaporized" is truly amusing though...

I am going to spend some time researching a few other posters here on audiogon and if most here are just shills for vendors or vendors I'll get this d---thing shut down!
Berkely- If you scroll around, you will find that most of us who hang out here on a long term basis are pretty good at sniffing out the shills. Although new ones do seem to pop up pretty regularly, when the BS alarm goes off, someone usually is quick to post about it.

Regarding the premium for the silver Duelands, I doubt that Dueland has any control over what the speaker manufacturer charges. It sucks, but they can charge whatever they want. In some ways no sillier and perhaps even more "value-priced" than the teleportation tweak.
Cost is an object for some of us here. I ordered a pair of Salk Soundscape 8's and wanted a capacitor upgrade. Initially from all that I've read here and elsewhere I asked Jim Salk to cost out the Duelund caps in the tweeter position only, and nearly had a heart attack! They may sound better than Mundorf Silver-in-oil caps, but at $765.00, how much better? I'm going with the Mundorfs.
After posting, I realized it could sound confusing. The $765.00 was for the Mundorfs. The Duelunds were way more, into the thousands of dollars!
Thank you Mitch for clarifying!.

From what I've researched thus far apparently Unlike Mundorf and other ploy caps the Duelund CAST uses no poly or plastic and greatly reduces that overly bright and sometimes harsh sound and replaces it with an open fast but not harsh sound like the cap isn't even there..magic! I can't wait to actually experience them myself.
If your crossover has multiple or high value micro farads the cost can rise in a hurry.I was fortunate as my crossover only has one capacitor of modest size.