Dual 721 - Harman Kardon T-60 - which TT to keep?

I have a Dual 721 which needs a little work – noisy RCA cable that has some hum and cutout on the left channel, and an ugly dust cover.
I also have a Harman Kardon T-60 in quite nice shape (but cracked dust cover).
I'm leaning toward keeping the HK, repairing the Dual's problems and selling it.
Before doing so, I want to know if I am missing something. Is one of these TTs markedly better than the other in some way?
The Dual is direct drive and some reviewers have raved about how very quiet it is. The HK is belt drive and reviews keep describing it as "the poor man's Linn Sondek".
I would love to hear your opinions.
Thanks in advance.
craig_c
Well I hope that clears everything up for ya.

Keep the one withthe automatic tonearm return so you don't wear out your cartridge every time you fall asleep in the middle of the record.
Well, so far that is exactly how my thinking has been going. The T-60, no the 721, no the T-60, no...
Honest, they both have auto return.

Is there any consensus regarding belt drive vs direct drive? Apparently the 721 DD is legendary. They both seem very quiet.

Maybe I should get a switch box and use them on alternate days. Or play rock on one and jazz on the other.

Anybody else??
A consensus on belt versus direct drive? Not until hell freezes over. They can both be good... or bad. A good direct drive will usually have somewhat better speed stability than a good belt drive, but otherwise there isn't much reason to prefer one over the other.
I would take a guess that the T-60 might be more "collectible". I believe there are some (former?) users of the T-60 on this forum that can tell you about its sound.
Sell both and look for a well maintained vintage table/arm. Thorens, Luxman, Denon, Technics, etc. represent high value products in today's market.

If you shop carefully, it shouldn't cost much to make a fairly significant upgrade over both of your tables.

IMO
Audiofeil,
I thought both of these tables stacked up well against any vintage Thorens, Denon, or Technics. Certainly they are on par with any Technics I've seen. I have been under the impression that the Dual matches most Thorens.

Any one else care to weigh in?
I own a mint 721 and a mint Thorens TD 125 MKII, and also a Kenwood KD 500. The 721 is a great table and the motor is highly respected as one of the better DD motors designed. The problem is the arm, there is a lot of plastic in the base, the height ajustment pieces are prone to breaking. Then the arm is shot. You really cannot change the arm unless you find an old Dual. I think in the long run something like the Thorens 125 MKII is going to be going up in value, and I prefer it to the Dual, you can change arms etc... It is also very easy to modify if that is your thing.
Waynefia,
Thanks. that's a good explanation/example.
At this point, and with my budget, the HK works so well I'll be keeping it. It also has the the record clamp/weight that helps dampen the whole thing and flatten some mildly warped records.
When I replace the noisy RCA cables, does anyone have a ballpark price that I should be looking for?

Thanks again for all the responses.
Both! I have a Harmon Kardon T55C with a Grado MC+ mono cartridge and a mint (except a few scratches on the dust cover) Dual 721 for regular playback. The best tables I've owned and I've had new tables as well. But if I had to pick the Dual 721
Tough call
I've owned both, the T-60 is better, sounds very much like a Linn Basik. Put a Nagoka MP-150 on it and you got 90% of what you can get at 10% of the cost.
Cheapest table I've heard that IMO worth buying over a T-60 is 2K Pro-ject Perspective with their killer 9cc tonearm.
I bought my T60 new in 1980 ....still looks new.
It IS the baby Linn Sondek....
There is no question the belt driven T60 blows the other away!
No direct drive TT from that email. can compete with a belt driven TT for quietness.The only one I know of in present day is the new VPI D.D....AND it costs $35,000 !
I really don't think either of these 2 tables will 'BLOW" the other away.  However.  If you are willing to do just a bit of tweaking,  I believe the Dual will out perform the HK by a tad... The Dual's arm's need to be tightened down,  they tend to work loose after years,  but tighten it down and put a little dampening material on the bottom tonearm mount and it goes along way with this arm.  Also,  If I recall correctly, the Dual arm is Height adjustable. and the HK is not,  Helps if you want to experiment with record mats & such.