dual 505-3

Yesterday, I picked up an old Dual 505-3 turntable in immaculate condition, save for the stylus.

The table has a carbon fibre ortofon headshell (apparently the original one) and the stylus is of the sort that can be upgraded by simply sliding it off the tip of the cartridge and slipping a better stylus on in its place.

This version of cartridge can take the OM5, OM10, OM20, OM30 and OM40 styli, with the 40 being the top end.

The original cost of the OM40 is $300-400 (CAD), however I can get it for $175. \

Despite this being a good deal on the OM40 stylus, is the table itself too much of a limiting factor to warrant this expenditure, despite the 'deal'? Would it be better to use a new ortofon 2M red instead, purchased for $100?
loose

Showing 1 response by jc2000

No experience with the Dual 505-3. But if I were in your position, I'd probably be inclined to replace the stylus on the current cartridge. It would be the easiest solution. And also cheaper--the OM10 stylus at Garage-A-Records is about half the price of a new Red cartridge. Plus, I don't know what was originally used by the 505, but the OM series would be closer to original.

Normally, I would not go with the OM40 stylus--it does seem like overkill for a budget turntable. Although, the price you can get does make it very attractive. For less than a new Blue cartridge, you'd get a stylus that's much BETTER than the Blue.

I hope you enjoy the 505--it was, as I recall, considered the best budget turntable in some circles once. A cheap 503 which I bought to play with has--frankly--amazed me.