DTS HD via Multi Analog vs DTS via Bistream

I want to ask if there is a big difference between DTS HD/Dolby HD through a multi channel analog out vs DTS/Dolby through a Toslink. I know that the toslinq will not handle the DTS/Dolby HD so it will be down converted.

I'm currently running my blurays through a PS3 ( I know I'll get drilled on this) and I only have a toslink connection to my NAD m15(hdmi is only video for this model).

I'm considering on getting a Oppo 80 (if I can still find one) or equivalent player with analog multi channel out with the HD being decoded internally by the Bluray player.
I will connect it to my Nad M15 7.1 analog input.

So how will the sound compare? Is it a huge enough difference to get a bluray player with a HD internal decoder and mutli analog out?
alfredt828

Showing 5 responses by alfredt828

Thanks Rcrerar.
So it's true that playing a Bluray DTS/DD HD on my Ps3 through Toslink to my Nad M15 will somehow down convert the Lossless signal to a Lossy audio. And even with my M15 (better DACS) decoding the signal will be less superior than , let's say a samsung BR player (seems Oppo 80 are hard to come by)with internal decoding (inferior DACS) of DTS/DD HD through analog multi-Channel to My 7.1 analog input on my M15 will be still noticably better?
Thanks Rcrerar, Mceljo, and Willland for all your input.

I'll wait for the OPPO BDP-92 to be release. I know that player have 7.1 analog out. I can't wait to hear the diffence in my system!

Cheers!!
Actually Samsung has a Bluray player with 7.1 analog out. for $199 @ Costco.

Will I hear a huge difference in quality from a oppo with both outputting 7.1 analog output?

I'm sure the Oppo 93 will be great if not better than the 80 or 83, but at less than half the cost, the Samsung looks attractive. Still debating if its worth the price just to hear DTS-HD/DD-TRUE DH when watching movies.
So if the any B.R. Player(w muli analog out) internally decodes the DTS-HD/DD-HD signal and outputs it through its 7.1/multi channel analog output, does the pre-processor its connected to decode it again to output a "close to" the HD lossless signal?
And if it does, then does it matter if I use a cheaper B.R player (like the Samsung) to use it as a source and rely on my NAD processor to output "quality" HD surround sound.

If I use/or had a processor with HDMI then I would think the Oppo would be a better choice? But for analog output perhaps the difference is not so dramatic... any thoughts?
My newly received Oppo BDP-93 sounds great using the 7.1 analog output :). Thanks all for all your input, advice and comments. Enjoy the holidays :)