Downsizing from Audio Research REF110 to 100.2

I have an Audio Research REF3 and REF110, I pair them with Proac D38 and Transparent ultra MM biwire speaker cable.

I want to keep the REF3 but I am going to try the very well reviewed solid state Audio Research 100.2, I like the REF110 but I want to have more simplicity in my system and not to think about if my power amp in switched on or not.

I also wanted to convince myself that I am not such exigent to need always the best, I had in the pass an Audio Research D200 which left to me good reminders, I know that 100.2 in noticeable better so I think it could be enough satisfactory in my system.

Someone having some experience with both amplifiers?
How they would compare?
jglpubli

Showing 1 response by arcl60

Hi Jglpubli
I have a friend who runs Proac speakers (i don't know the exact model number, but the speaker has 2 woofers around 7 or 6 inches on Apolito mode). We tried an Audio Research VT200 on those speakers, and faced issue on bass response (bass response was not consistent with medium and high frequencies). I'm not sure Audio research tube amplifier is a good match with Proac speaker, so solid state amp is maybe something to try...