Down sizing

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help. My wife and children have recently relocated me and my audio system to a small room in the house (approximately 9’x11’). It is nice to have an office/audio room to myself, but the room is much too small for my current setup (Speakers: Dynaudio 1.3 MK II; Amp: BAT VK-200; Pre amp: Rouge 99; CDP: Cary 303).

Given my situation, I wanted to scale down my system without losing any of the sound quality of my current system. Since my room is so small, I can move into lower powered amps (tubes?) or even a quality integrated amp. At minimum, I need to change speakers. If I place the dynaudios where they sound best (far out into the room), I sit on the other side of them.

I would appreciate any guidance you can give.

By the way I listen to some rock, pop, but mostly jazz.

Thanks
xmore

Showing 1 response by whknopp0713

I would think that the 1.3 is a good speaker for a small room, but in any event I wanted to add that you should not overlook tubetraps or some other serious acoustic treatment. Small dedicated rooms (I have one) pose a big challenge with all their nodes, but have great potential because if setup right the nearfield can be an absolute teleporter to the musical event of your choice. But you have to acoustically eliminate the room as much as possible. The advice to use the long wall is good, and you should check out the placement information on the Audio Physic website, as my experience leads me to think that the 1.3 in the nearfield, well in to the room, with your chair close to the rearwall and enough room treatment, would make the walls melt away.