Don't you just hate it when---

something very unusual happens to you pet toy! I had the great misfortune on damaging my ZYX universe cartridge in a freak accident. I was changing out my cartridge and installing on a new tonearm i built for my apollo. I had the cartridge (stylus cover in place) on the table. I dropped my small screwdriver and in a impulse tried to catch it and arggh, knocked my universe off the table on to the floor. I was not really worried as my stylus cover was securely fastened.

Well i picked it up and notice three prongs vs the normal 4. My ground prong was gone. I found it and looked at the cartridge under my scope and it appears as it fell, it somehow hit that prong and snapped the plastic body. Now i have a screwed up cartridge. I have contacted Soundsmith and they will look to see if they can repair. I can not see any coil issue and i can see the small wire the connected to the ground. Obviously i am heartbroken. I will install a carpet around my turntable "table" in case i get stupid again.
Fortunately i have an Airy3 as a backup.
oilmanmojo

Showing 1 response by ct0517

Hi Oilman

A few years ago I beheaded my XV1's long cantilever some 15 feet from the turntable when doing some maintenance. When I realized what happened I believe my soul left me for a while. My only hover over my body experience that I can recall so far :^(
Soundsmith said the accident damaged the coils and it could not be repaired. Luckily through audiogoneer Nandric I was put in contact with Axle in Germany. He rebuilt it. If SS says it can't be fixed let me know I can send you Axle's info. SS do excellent work and have retipped 3 of my cartridges. I nicknamed my cartridge XV1-AXE.

Good luck with it.