Don't use this to lube your VPI Classic bearing

I recently lubricated the bearing on my Classic using white lithium grease purchased from ACE Hardware. The brand is AGS; it came in a white 1.25 oz tube. After about a week, I heard a whooshing sound coming from (under) the platter at each spin. I removed the platter and the sight was not pretty - some of the grease turned into a gooey brown substance and pooled at the bottom of the shaft; there were some chunks of the grease inside the hollow. I didn't use that much of it and it looked worse than after a full year of use with the original job performed by VPI.

I cleaned it all out, and the whooshing sound went away. So if your Classic is due for maintenance, stay away from this particular product.

Does any Classic owner have a brand/product they can recommend for lubricating the bearing? Considering that you only need a little bit of it about once a year, $26 for the lube from VPI is a bit steep.
actusreus

Showing 3 responses by swanny76109

Magic Lube (1 Oz.) 26.00 is what is listed on VPIs part/price list under all TTs they make. Not Super Lube, or anything else.

A google search turned up this: aladdin1950.com/images/partsbook/page_2-3%20_magic%20_lube.pdf

I am sure you can buy it for a lot less than 26 bucks for a one oz tube.

This is the same stuff I just used when I changed the gasket on my swimming pool pump lid. I have a tube that my repair guy accidentally left, so I think I am going to try it. This has got to be it, right?

For the record, this is indeed a PTFE base. It is non petroleum and safe for plastics and synthetics, very clear, and very sticky and viscous. It however, is NOT white lithium grease. Again, the disconnect between the manual and reality.

VPI is not in this week due to Capital Audiofest, can someone else confirm if this is the right "Stuff?"
I still want to know for sure. The Magic Lube site says:

Specially formulated to be
non-melting, non-volatile, and waterproof, Magic LubeĀ®
has been USDA H-1 rated to be environmentally safe. It
is chemical resistant and compatible with most metals,
rubbers and plastics. It is commonly used on motors,
o-rings, gaskets, bearings, waterfilters and much more.

PS, I just removed the crappy Ace Hardware lithium lube that the OP mentioned at the beginning, using qtips and paper towels, cleaning out the bearing and thrust. I put a dab of the Magic Lube and it seems great so far, doesn't run and quiet and smooth operation. I also ordered some of the Ceramic Grease from a bike shop and want to try that too.
Yes, I have a 3 oz bottle coming tomorrow from Amazon for $6.50. It looks like great stuff, and I can use it on my bike components, car battery terminals, and garage door too. Now I have to clean out the bearing again! The magic lube I put in actually has been working great, but I'll go to the official stuff now. Thanks for everyone's help clarifying this.