Don't care for my Philips 963

I've had this for over a year now and like it less everytime I listen to it on redbook (regardless of upsampling). What first struck me (and I did audition before buying, though apparently not long enough) as detailed and extended highs now comes across as thin, metallic, unengaging. SACD playback, on the other hand, I like very much. Unfortunately, I have a total of five sacds. DVD performance is good enough. I'd like my digital playback to resemble my analog playback (rega p25/dyna 10x5)--full of bounce and life, liquid, rich and round. Audio budget is tight right now. For a number of reasons, I'd like to ad a DAC with three inputs (one needs to be coax and one needs to be optical). I'd run sacd playback through the analog outs on the philips into my pre. For redbook and dvd, I'd use the DAC. Right now I'm thinking CAL Alpha or Muse 2. Given what I'm looking for and given my budget (under 600), do you have any other suggestions? Thanks.
shersta

Showing 1 response by prpixel

Did you install the blackgate mod on the philips? For less than $30 it was a big improvement.