Doge 8 Clarity with tube upgrade or Primaluna EVO 300

Replacing my current preamp. Its dead Jim. Price is a limiter but performance is still important.. I have come down to between the upgraded Doge 8 Clarity and the EVO 300. Leaning PrimaLuna but the price point on the Clarity is really nice. I have a line on an EVO 300 for $2700 and the Clarity sells new  with upgrade for $1800. Interested in people's thoughts on the two units.
mpelczynsk

Showing 4 responses by gryphongryph

Ignorance is on your part on this topic I am afraid, I have an fully balanced amp, but I did not buy it because it was a balanced amp but because it sound just the same using balanced cabling or rca cabling, please read up on the topic, and try to educate yourself, it is never too late.
Tweak1 - sorry to burst your bubble, but if you seriously think that equipment needs to be balanced to be high end, you are seriously mistaken, balanced should really not be needed in home stereo, it was for the studio and concerts.
Think about it, for true balanced, everything has to be double, making equipment more than double expensive. Totally not needed, but it looks good in the leaflet from the manufacturer...
ps. I have myself some balanced equipment in my system 😜
But you are doubling everything to be true balanced, a product done properly, would you notice any difference in sound quality?
I am skeptical to that, for the money I think you get more single ended, if it is 0.001 or 0.00001, who cares!?