Does your system take you there or...?

Happened to purchase a Cary AES Super Amp (original) and AE-2 pre for my office. While I was breaking it in, I noticed it does the detail thing a little better than my Manley 300B/Steelhead combo.

After listening a little while and reading some reviews, I noticed that someone had made the distinction between gear that "takes you there" and gear that brings "there" here. After some more listening back-to-back with the same music, I came to the conclusion that the AES equipment does a better job of "taking you there" but the Manley gear brings "there" here into my room in a big way. Definitely different presentations.

Would appreciate others thoughts.

PMB
pmburnett
Well, the room is there no matter what so that is a factor no matter what.

Different systems will sound different even in the same room. Some may seem to interact with teh room more so than others. It all depends.

Not sure what else to say. If it sounds good, it sounds good. Some recordings may sound live especially if you close your eyes. Others sound like recordings. It all depends.....
are we talking some guy with a guitar, some folk singer or are you speaking of groups such as Wynton's Jazz orch or a Symphony Orch? It don't take much to put a solo guitar in the room.
Thanks for the interesting commentary so far. I used Ani as an example because it's easier for me to visualize walking around in a small ensemble rather than walking around in an orchestra.

As I said, I prefer having the performance in my room, but that's not saying that the cues regarding the original venue are missing. It's more of an experience of my room being partially transformed. On Ani's recording, there is a living, breathing invisible person in my room. It's more like I can walk around in the performance. The same thing happens with larger works like Mozart's Requiem, but to a lesser degree. For me, this presentation is more "real" but not necessarily as "accurate" at reproducing the original performance. There is a real experience that a performance is happening rather than listening to a recreation of a performance.

Some may not like it that way-- my wife, for example. She likes being able to see the details of the venue like she is there but looking over the railing from a balcony seat. But there is a boundary that can't be crossed.

PMB
Good point Rok2id.

I'd also say that the recording plays a big part in how we might perceive the presentation as well.