Does vinyl have a sound?

Other than great resolution, timbre, and soundstage, can one recognize a sound that vinyl has?

Sometimes I think I hear a "plastic" sound, especially on percussion. Does this make sense to anyone? If so, does this go away with proper choice of table, arm, and cartridge?
grindstaff
Nil,

Thank you for the responses -- I have a center clamp on the way -- was not using one.
This might seem conservative but my record collection is somewhat restricted to mid or late 1950's mono classical pressings. The platters typically weigh about 200 grams and the sound engineering is primarily based on the make of instruments and the halls acoustics.
Funny but sound engineering done for classical CD's in the 21st century is primarily based on the make of the instruments and the halls acoustics.
I really never listen to either vinyl or CD and then expect to have an experience that would compare aesthetically with that of a live concert recital though I find live radio and live recordings thrilling in there own right.
Fortunately, I have a hi fidelity digital to analogue playback system which makes hearing CD's pleasurable. Vinyl does present its own qualities but for the way I listen, these idiosyncrasies are dependent upon things like microphone placement, acoustic shells, the size of the venue and how it was built, how close the woodwinds are sitting to the viola's, etc... as well as the cartridge, tonearm, turntable, phono stage, amplifier, speakers and whatever else on my end.
Mono vinyl is fun to listen to and through it I hear different things both subjectively and objectively. For me this topic is akin to asking for 100 people to imagine the color red and then somehow quantifying everyones shade of red for comparison. If I'm correct, there are at least over 200 different shades of red. There are just countless variables whenever it comes to playing vinyl and it could be that with digital playback, the spectrum of possibilities diminishes inconspicuously?
A lot of really good things said here and thanks for letting me chime in late.
Post removed 
Also, you have to have very good source material in very good condition.
^^^^this^^^^

I've spent the better part of 45 years collecting, cleaning, curating and upgrading my record collection. Much more time and money than my system itself.

I'm constantly on the lookout for better copies or earlier pressings of what I already have in my collection.  Also, pressings from other countries such as the UK, Germany, Russia ,(classical especially), Japan, etc. 

Most modern pressings pale in comparison to a good early pressing, but the search for quiet copies in NM condition can be frustrating.

Find the right pressing with decent equipment and there is no "sound", just the music.