Does the first reflection point actually matter??

Hello my friends,

So please read the whole post before commenting. The question is nuanced.

First, as you probably know I’m a huge fan of the well treated room, and a fan boy of GIK acoustics as a result, so what I am _not_ arguing is against proper room treatment. I remember many years ago, perhaps in Audio magazine (dating myself?) the concept of treating the first reflection points came up, and it seems really logical, and quickly adopted. Mirrors, flashlights and lasers and paying the neighbor’s kid (because we don’t have real friends) to come and hold them while marking the wall became common.

However!! In my experience, I have not actually been able to tell the difference between panels on and off that first reflection point. Of course, I can hear the difference between panels and not, but after all these years, I want to ask if any of you personally know that the first reflection point really matters more than other similar locations. Were we scammed? By knowing I mean, did you experiment? Did you find it the night and day difference that was uttered, or was it a subtle thing, and if those panels were moved 6" off, would you hear it?

Best,

Erik
erik_squires
Wow, @lemonhaze you misread my original post and misread my "preaching to the choir" post and now are all mad about both. 

Let's just agree to disagree and move on.
It does not matter to me unless it makes the speaker sound worse the it would if I blocked some of the reflections..

I remember picking on Harry when he came up with his flashlight theory. He said to me "oh well it’s published".

Guys, sound is pressure. Some of the people in audio seriously need a hobby lol.

mg

Very good observation...

« Sound is a plant more like an animal» -Groucho Marx

«Optic is ecology» -Harpo Marx 
Few people know that Goethe make his point against Newton in color theory....While Newton search for a theoretical mathematical corpuscules light theory, Goethe described for the first times in history the way of colors to comes from light and dark in the world in relation to physiology....Goethe was a colossus of intelligence but in too much fields for the average people to understand him really....And to this day, Goethe reflexions seems not to go to a dead end, like a corpuscule theory of light and colors... Edwin Land was a Goethe disciple for example.... :).

In acoustic there is something similar....And Michael Green put it right by noting that sound is also pressure, not an abstract mathematical wave only, but a living wave....