Does the first reflection point actually matter??

Hello my friends,

So please read the whole post before commenting. The question is nuanced.

First, as you probably know I’m a huge fan of the well treated room, and a fan boy of GIK acoustics as a result, so what I am _not_ arguing is against proper room treatment. I remember many years ago, perhaps in Audio magazine (dating myself?) the concept of treating the first reflection points came up, and it seems really logical, and quickly adopted. Mirrors, flashlights and lasers and paying the neighbor’s kid (because we don’t have real friends) to come and hold them while marking the wall became common.

However!! In my experience, I have not actually been able to tell the difference between panels on and off that first reflection point. Of course, I can hear the difference between panels and not, but after all these years, I want to ask if any of you personally know that the first reflection point really matters more than other similar locations. Were we scammed? By knowing I mean, did you experiment? Did you find it the night and day difference that was uttered, or was it a subtle thing, and if those panels were moved 6" off, would you hear it?

Best,

Erik
erik_squires
@erik_squires  I am genuinely interested to know your opinion on how your system sounds and what you think needs to be improved. I have asked you this before. Why are you refusing to answer this simple question?
@kenjit,

1 - The proper way to discuss this is not to hijack a poster’s threads with questions and false innuendo that are not relevant to the discussion.

2 - I don’t owe you a discussion.

Best,

Erik
Regarding experimentation, when setting up my current system location I tried GIK 244 panels with scatter plates, GIK Polyfuser absorber/diffusers and them GIK 2A Alpha Pro panels in the first reflection points and the differences were apparent in each case. Night and day differences, no. But it wasn't hard to make a decision about which design sounded better either. I suspect if the basics of speaker positioning and suitability of the speaker to the room size are correct, it's unrealistic to expect such dramatic improvement from panels in the first reflection points. FWIW, when initiating a discussion about room acoustics and you have an experience that goes contrary to generally held assumptions, it might contribute to meaningful discussion to have your system & room setup posted so those you solicit opinions from would know where you're coming from. 
1st reflection points typically do matter most meaning more than 2nd, 3rd etc. Reason being that is where the absorbing effect of treatments will typically be greatest FBOFW.

The only treatments I use with my Ohm Walsh speaker setup are 24” x 24” auralex pads on walls at the first reflection points to my primary listening locations. These are pseudo-Omni ie very wide dispersion speakers that deliver a large sweet zone not just a single spot.

These are far enough away to probably not be a problem in regards to early reflections which is always bad. More of an insurance policy for that.

My assessment is they did help solidify and focus the soundstage and imaging. Which is what I was shooting for, so they remain there. Nothing to do with tonality of the sound. I do other things in there for that as needed.
depends on toe in and size of listening triangle relative to room boundaries, and in the case of this particular query, the side walls

if speakers firing straight ahead, and speakers have a wide dispersion pattern, the first reflection is key to manage