Does the 'Buck' Start with the DAC?

Some members have expressed that the server / streaming front end is less important than the DAC.

I subscribe to the position that "Everything Matters"

As I consider front end choices, I'm trying to gauge if I should be leaning more heavily on a DAC versus a SOURCE (server / streamer).

Feedback and perspective from both camps, or any others, will be helpful. Thank you.

Please Note:  I'm not looking for validation of the position that "only the bits" matter... I accept that some believe this wholeheartedly... and that's okay by me. 
david_ten

Showing 1 response by mgrif104

I’m enjoying this thread.  Interestingly, I posed a related question elsewhere about which might have more impact - server/streamer or DAC.  While I subscribe to the notion that everything makes a difference, I’ve also concluded that, In my experiences, the server/streamer is at least as important and likely the more important determinant of quality sound than the DAC.  

Several users suggest that, because their DACs are known to be relatively immune to jitter, the streamer isn’t particularly important.  I don’t find this to be true.  My DAC also rejects jitter very well, yet the differences in sound between a variety of servers is pretty easy to hear.  So, I might suggest they audition better servers to see if it improves their results - if they’re so included in that pursuit.

My $.02
mgrif