does more power=better quality ?

in term of sound quality in amp? does more power give you better quality.I understand it give you better control of the bass. how about mid and high?
is a 300watts ( krel, levinson,rowland, audio reserach ..etc ) better than a 200 or 100 watts model within the same company and product line? what if you have a relatively efficient speaker?
a1126lin

Showing 3 responses by uru975

A little off the subject but seems somewhat relevanet. Given the argument that fewer devices, simpler design, gives a better quality sound, less to mess it up, would an OTL amplifier be a more reasonable solution, rather than looking at power alone, to question of sound quality?
Power and simplicity are favorites of mine. Any thoughts would be appreciated
I have been listening to music since before a 45 watt ss amp was the biggest baddest thing around, a Sansui AU999, for those who remember.
Graphs, are indeed a point for noting and do indicate basic paramaters for measurement, squarewave formation, slew rate, etc. There is though a basic and real diffeence between measurement and music.
I cannot prove this, but I believe with enough info it would be quite able to get two different amps, even different types of amps, at equal wattage whose reaasurements were commensurable but whose sound was not.
Measurements are a good starting point but I believe a poor ending point. Yes, I do prefer the sound I search for via various components, cables, power cords, and sources. It may or may not be neutral, authenticly-live, etc. but it is what I like. I believe the good doctor and the good lawyer were talking past each other, their points were not so much mistaken or even misspoken as not heard.
The Drs. view that audiophiles may prefer a less than measured neutral actual live sound may indeed be true.
The lawyers that lowered power amps tend to sound clearer etc. is probably also true. It is his ears after all. OUrs may listen differently.
Getting all hot because the specs and measurements are so cool is a good starting point but a poor buying one. Once again Trust your Ears. And perhaps agree to disagree when necessary