Does gauge of speaker cables matter?

Now a dumb question.For a full range speaker is it better to use say,a 9 gauge as opposed to a 12 gauge? Also if one were to use a double run of 12 gauge to the woofers would this be equal to a single 6 gauge run.Im considering this and using an 11 gauge single run to the tweeters.I would be using Harmonic Technology cables..Thanks!
david99
Does anyone feel a double run of 12 gauge to the woofers and a single run of 11 gauge to the tweeters would be worth the expense and effort?
That would all depend on what frequency range the woofer covers, what specific wires were used and how you configured it. If you want specific answers, you need to provide more specific info. Sean >
David, I always thought "the bigger the better", until I found out about Mapleshades cables here on Audiogon. I have used Cardas, Straightwire, PAD,ARC & several others. When I recieved the M.S.double golden helix cables I almost sent them back before I gave them a try. I thought no way could these small wires push my old inefficient Magnepans but they sound better than any thing I've used. I know all of this may be system dependent & is subjective but I wanted to give you something to consider. I can't explain why this worked for me, others here or Pierre @ Mapleshade would be able to provide an explanation. Good luck in your search for better sound.
David, I can say the same for the Mapleshade stuff,it is very very good and when you see it you think man that shit can`t sound that good there is nothing to it, but be prepared to scrach your head in disbelief. I had some Omeaga Micro a-2 that when you saw them you wouldn`t have thought those cable could do what there did , but they do and they were the best IC I`ve ever had. they are very fragile and that is why I let them go, but last week I order two pair of there Clearview. They are very close to the Omeaga`s , they are only $65 for a one meter pair.I`ll let you know how they came out. Greg
Dave i have found that lowe gauge 16/24 gauge makes the besy choice.If you can get 24 better and the run 8 or 16 conductors of it to get your desired heavy gauge.