Does Cary stack up to ARC

I am considering a switch from ARC (VT50/LS15) to a Cary SLI 80 integrated. The integrated would help simplify my system. I would be able to get rid of the 50 foot balanced interconnects, and keep everything in one place. I like the detail and extension of the ARC system, but sometimes long for a bit warmer sound.

What are some of the things that I would loose or gain with the Cary?

Speakers are Shearwater Hotrods, with an ACI sub.
kettle7830

Showing 2 responses by kettle7830

Audiotomb
I have tried many sets of tubes in the LS15. Currently I have 4 pre Bugle Boy Amprex in, they make a huge difference. As far as the amp, I think I am going to lock-tite the screws in. It had to go on a trip to ARC after an unfortunate tube rolling experience. By the way, ARC customer support and service is first class.

I tried an ARC integrated before my LS15/VT50 combo. Although it had the same sonic signature, the separates had a greater level of dynamics and resolution.

I guess it comes down to these issues:

- Am I loosing a lot if info with 50 foot XLR interconnects.

- Does the Cary "warm" sound equate to loss of detail?

- Am I taking a step down on the sonic ladder by going to an integrated source.

Based upon what has been covered here so far I think a trip to a Cary dealer is in my future.

Thanks
kettle
Well, I have had a Cary SLI-80 for about a week now. I have been going back and forth between the Cary and the
ARC, it is like nite and day. Late at night with Chet Baker and the Cary. On Saturday morning with the Sub Dudes and the ARC.

I have to agree with Tubegroover about the differences between the two sounds, and that it is a matter of taste.

I am going to put the ARC gear away for a few days and then come back to it. I may be suprised how the ARC sounds after a steady diet of Cary. I will report back in a few days

By the way Bmrl, what tubes did you roll in the pre section?

Thanks for all of the great comments

Mark