Does anyone use wood for vibration control?

What kind of wood have you found to be best?
bksherm
There’s a lot of equivocation or sloppy use of language in audio marketing. For instance, look at Mapleshade’s loose description of its Tonearm Resonance Control Kit:

"The physics are simple: bonding our 28g brass "mini Heavyhat" to the top of the headshell kills the resonances in the cartridge/headshell structure..."

This language is misleading. The brass weight changes the resonant frequency, it doesn’t kill the resonances. To be fair, a few paragraphs later Mapleshade says that the device is used to "reduce higher frequency resonances in the headshell..." which is more correct. It would be even more correct to say that it lowers the resonant frequency, i.e., where "lower" means not the amplitude but the Hz.

Likewise, our friend geoffkait often misuses words and commits fallacies of equivocation. It’s no big deal, except that his posts serve to benight rather than to enlighten the reader.

I'm not a physicist, but nevertheless even I know these simple things.

Cardas has wood blocks for that very purpose.. (I didn't much care for them, but some do)
Jburidan
Likewise, our friend geoffkait often misuses words and commits fallacies of equivocation. It’s no big deal, except that his posts serve to benight rather than to enlighten the reader.

I’m not a physicist, but nevertheless even I know these simple things.

>>>>I haven’t misused a word since 1975. Most likely the culprit is miscomprehension on your part. Have you given any consideration to going back to school for a physics refresh? 

Nothing is written unless I say it’s written.

“If I could explain it to the average Palooka they wouldn’t have given me the Nobel prize.”
michaelgreenaudio
When you get to the place in your hobby that you start to realize the audio signal’s interacting with every thing around it a new hobby begins from that point on.

>>>>Next step: get to the place in your hobby that you start to realize the audio signal’s interacting with the vibration that’s all around it. Then an even newer hobby begins from that point. There’s always another hill to climb. 🤗

Quick question: Did you ever consider why the sound improves when you take the big ol transformer out of the chassis and put it elsewhere in the room? You don’t think it’s just a question of lower mass, do you? 😳

First passenger, slightly inebriated, looking out the aircraft window: Hey, look, those people down there look like ants.

Second passenger: Those are ants, pal. We haven’t left the ground yet.

Hi Jburidan, well said!

Almost have my chores done for the day so I want to get started on the referencing.

My reference is not the system but the recording itself. First rough listen to "toys" I knew a couple of moves I would make right away. Took me all of 60 seconds to move my chair out a little from the SAM wall behind me and move the speakers forward about 3". Soon as I did this the "digital" sound was gone. I say digital sound because that's what many call the brittle sound when they play CDs. Fact is CDs don't sound brittle at all, it's the system playing the CD that creates this sound. CDs are an extremely accurate source and can require slightly different chair and speaker placement that can be needed as much as per recording. Most of the time not but when that certain cluster on the top end is heard it usually means the relationship between the speaker and back wall placement are off some. This is a cue for folks wanting to see how their setup is doing. As soon as the highs are tamed you will notice that your stage grew. Mid to higher sounds that were playing in the speakers now miss the physical speaker placement. The disappearing act may not be completely over but we are on our way.

MG

be back in a little