Does anyone use wood for vibration control?

What kind of wood have you found to be best?
bksherm
Perhaps if Victor Von Frankenstein had better tuned his monster's neck bolts, the creature wouldn't have sent out such bad vibes.

Hi Tj, great to see you!

Tj said

"Now since you are a man of science and seems to be an amazing physicist would you care to comment on what is happening to my setup and tuning ?"

In all fairness to Geoff that would be a stretch I would think. When Tj and I do listening sessions we both have In-Room audio systems to do this with. Our rooms and systems are giant musical instruments that we sit inside and make whatever adjustments we wish. Not just acoustical, but speakers, electronics and the whole thing. As Geoff shares he no longer has a stereo to do any testing with as far as an in-room system goes. I don’t think Geoff has done any in-room testing for over some 15 or more years I believe. If I’m correct Geoff uses a Sony Walkman Cassette Playing with ear buds.

I’m not saying this as a joke, but just that a portable cassette player to use as a referencing tool with a Tunable Room on the other end might be a little of a mismatch, especially in the feeling department but hey lets give it a try if you guys want.

I'm certainly into referencing from my end.

MG

Michael, when you cannot offer a defense of your position your Plan B is to attack the other guy? I totally understand. It must be very frustrating for you.

tjbhuler
Hi Geoff i just had a great listening and tuning session just now while commenting what i expreicned (sic) to Michael on what i did. Just to share what I did just now, I tuned the side walls and my floor by applying few pieces of wood beside the speaker stand and that brought out amazing image and better layering of my stage. I tensioned one of the bolts of my front wall and that brought out the stage more forward towards my listening spot.

Now since you are a man of science and seems to be an amazing physicist would you care to comment on what is happening to my setup and tuning ?

>>>>I was kind of hoping you or Michael would explain it to me. So far all I see is a lot of hand waving. By the way, in case I haven’t been clear, I don’t doubt that some or many or even all of Tuning principles don’t work. What I have been saying is those principles don’t go far enough. You know, what the the myriad problems produced by seismic type vibration as well as acoustic vibration and vibration from transformers, capacitors, motors, etc. follow? You guys can dodge and weave, ignore, Pooh Pooh, attack, evade, dispute all you want. It’s no skin off my nose. The arguments from Tuners against vibration isolation are either non-existent or incorrect. But I’ve said this all before. Something is fundamentally wrong somewhere with the whole Tuning manifesto, I submit, since Tuners embrace vibration, and want vibration to be free to roam anywhere, whereas most of the rest of the world embraces killing vibration. You are kind of the Branch Davidians of vibration. 😛 there’s a space between us big enough to drive a truck through. 🚚

So OP, I’m ready to do some listening. Yesterday I put on "Toys in the attic" by Aerosmith. This is a regular off the shelf CD and I’m playing it on my favorite CDP, which happens to be a very low mass player that Magnavox produced for several years. The system is totally mine with no brand names to mention except for mine, folks can check this out on the TuneLand Forum. I have my headphone setup cued up as well to do a few comparisons but this is mainly an in-room reference.

Most of my Tuning references are done with in-room systems because when listening I want to feel the music while I listen to it.

I use CDs for 3 reasons, one I love the sound of them, two a CDP is easy to tune and 3 the repeat button. For more serious referencing I might listen to the same recording for days leaving the player on repeat.

mg