Does anyone play two pairs of speakers at the same time?

I have found that certain combinations of speaker pairs produce a better sound than the single pair alone. For example: Klipsch Quartets and PSB Image 4T (new tweeters from Vifa) Quartets inside pair and volume matched to PSBs. I have done this over the years and found some great combinations.
aburnhamuu
I switch to 7 channel stereo for casual listening at lower to mid-level volume, then to 2 channel for more critical listening at higher volume levels. Speakers are somewhat of a hodge podge at the moment with ESS AMT's for the front L/R, Martin Logan FX2's for the rear L/R, polk center and 2 velodyne subs (15" and 12")… Mostly used as home theater, but the ESS AMT's can rock pretty well in 2.1 channel.

I like the additional speakers at lower volume levels.

I wish one speaker set could do service to all the different quality and types of mastering out there. My audio collection is spread from the late 50’s to present. Many of these recordings have distortion, require mid bass enhancement and a “forgiving” tweeter. These qualities are better accomplished with a speaker design which has these qualities.

This same speaker will not deliver the tight bass and ultra clarity that better recordings offer. Another speaker with higher resolution and flatter response will deliver these goods better!

Hence, two speaker sets ( fronts)  could expand your appreciation to a broader range of music. Especially when you have contrasting types of speakers.

Comparing music playback quality is challenging for most people with their “music memory'. For me, it must be A-B immediate to really “see” the diff. After a couple years of using the two set speakers as either fully on or off, I acquired the Parasound P7. It offers a way to do it all. Set A, Set B or any individual volume of the both together. Tone sounds full and complete.

Have not noticed time delay issues or muddiness, though both speakers are precisely measured to ear distance. 

Just imagine Hendrix cranked up on ribbon tweeters and 6.5” woofers…. Could a vintage JBL sound better?

There may be some losses to this type of set up. It has been better for me.

In the 1970's, I ran stacked Advents with a Phase Linear 400.  Later, I ran stacked B&W DM14's with this amp, and later with Audire electronics.  Eventually, I had some Acoustat electeostatic panels which I paired with the DM'14's.  All were good in their time period, but now I use B&W 803's, interestingly stacked on my 10" subs that I drove with a second Audire amp and preamp, until recently, when a botched repair, a shorting accident killed my electronics.  I am searching for an Audire Diffet 3 (maybe Diffet 2) and Audire Forte or better to pair with my Bryston amp and preamp.  Anyone?
On my vintage system I use JBL 166's and JBL 4312A's in tandem. What the 4312A lack (Highs) the 166's have in spades and likewise the Midrange of the 4312 make up for what the 166 is short on.  Its a match made in heaven for 70's Classic Rock. Havent found 1 speaker that has it all.