Does anyone have the new VAC Phi 300 amplifier?

If so, I'm very interested in your impressions and associated equipment.

Thanks.
fplanner2000

Showing 8 responses by sherod

That's great, Maril555. I hope you enjoy your new Bat-75SE. Did you get out of home theater and replace your Theta Dreadnaught 5-channel amp with the Bat?
I think that the reason Kevin is gushing like a little kid is because with the new Phi products, he has broken ground with new technology that brings the listener that much closer to the real event. I recently bought the new Auricle Musicbloc mono amps. Why? Because that's all I could afford. Oh, how I wish I could own the new Phi 300 monos, but someday, maybe. I e-mailed Kevin asking him some questions about tube rolling, how the amp will match with my speakers, etc. He was quick to respond and answered all my questions to my satisfaction. Really nice guy. He even gave me a big welcome to the VAC family. He did try to get me to move up to the Musicbloc Standard 160. I believe the 160 have some of the technology used in the PHI line. But as with Fplanner2000, Kevin too was gushing a little bit about his new line. If it all sounds as good as it looks, the new PHI product line should be pretty special.

Maril555,

I will be glad to, but the amps are still in transit. I'll probably receive on Fri. and hopefully by early next week, I'll be able to leave some impressions.
I wanted to follow-up with Maril555 regarding the VAC Auricle Musicblocs. I am very happy with their performance. They power my Reference 3A Dulcet mini-monitors with plenty of volume and their sound is exquisitely pure, clean and musical. They are so clean that they tell you right off which speaker cables they like best. I have tried three different brands and prefer the AZ Satori, bi-wired. My preamp is the new Audio Horizons TP 2.0n, which has plenty of gain, so it is a very good match. One if the things I like about the VAC Auricles is they have a very tiny footprint(only 6" wide) so they fit very nicely in my narrow shelves. Also, keeping them powered all day, they run just slightly warm, not too hot, for an all-tube amp. I'm very pleased with the VAC Auricle, however, if I can save some money, I would like to upgrade to the VAC 160 Monos.
Congratulations Vac_man. I see that you sold your VAC Ren 70/70. I know it's probably a little early yet to give us a status on your new Phi 300, but a quick report on its sound would be nice. Assuming all else is the same in your system, do you hear a difference for the better over your Ren 70/70?

Sherod
Hello Fplanner2000, It's my fault that this thread got off track for a moment. I'm sure we're all waiting in eager anticipation for Vac_man to give us his impressions of the Phi 300. He just sold his Ren. Sig. 70/70's , so hopefully soon he'll post his impressions. I'm surprised that no one else has come in with information. Surely there are more new Phi 300 owners out there. Let's hear your impressions. Enquiring minds want to know.
Fplanner2000, I would love to hear your impressions as the amp further breaks in. The McCormack DNA 500 is an amzing amp for a solid state, so your comparisons would be appreciated.
Holy Vac amps, Arthursmuck! Two 300.1 amps set up as monoblocs ought to be the ultimate in amplification. Please keep us posted.