Does anyone care to ask an amplifier designer a technical question? My door is open.

I closed the cable and fuse thread because the trolls were making a mess of things. I hope they dont find me here.

I design Tube and Solid State power amps and preamps for Music Reference. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering, have trained my ears keenly to hear frequency response differences, distortion and pretty good at guessing SPL. Ive spent 40 years doing that as a tech, store owner, and designer.
Perhaps someone would like to ask a question about how one designs a successfull amplifier? What determines damping factor and what damping factor does besides damping the woofer. There is an entirely different, I feel better way to look at damping and call it Regulation , which is 1/damping.

I like to tell true stories of my experience with others in this industry.

I have started a school which you can visit at http://berkeleyhifischool.com/ There you can see some of my presentations.

On YouTube go to the Music Reference channel to see how to design and build your own tube linestage. The series has over 200,000 views. You have to hit the video tab to see all.

I am not here to advertise for MR. Soon I will be making and posting more videos on YouTube. I don’t make any money off the videos, I just want to share knowledge and I hope others will share knowledge. Asking a good question is actually a display of your knowledge because you know enough to formulate a decent question.

Starting in January I plan to make these videos and post them on the HiFi school site and hosted on a new YouTube channel belonging to the school.

128x128ramtubes
I have a technical question regarding a PP EL86 tube amp I am modifying. I would like to upgrade the power supply. The current power supply is very, very simple and while simplicity is good I think a more robust supply could help sound quality.

A couple of questions and these should also have application for many others here.

1) All filaments are AC heated! Not DC. No filtering, no rectifier....Love you hear your comments on this. Would converting to a CLC filter with possible voltage regulation be worth doing?

2) 5U4 rectifier Tube receives 350 VAC and post tube VDC of 476 with no load. The plate supply is a simple RC only. 100 ohm resistor followed by two 680uf electrolytic caps in series. This feeds the vintage Scott output trannys. If I wanted to add a choke where should it be placed and how do I determine the value correctly. Like to know how you would design the plate supply for this simple PP el84 amp.

I ask your opinion of SS voltage regulation on both filament and plate supplies. Is it something you regard as very important? 

Thanks in advance.
@ramtubes

For those who will likely disagree: If burn in exists in these devices why did we not know about it until recently. I find no references to burn in in the 50s 60s 70s.. when did it start?

And if burn in occurs in cabling, why don’t we see people producing these measurable results between a new and burned in cable? The suspicious thing is that when most cable manufacturers are hyping either the technical reasons why their cables produce better sound, or telling you the cables need burn in, they are always appealing to some objective, technical phenomena whose existence is known because it was measurable. "Here’s a technical problem with cables you need to know about, that we have solved via our manufacturing process!"

But when they tout that they have "solved" one or more objective technical problems in cable design, they typically don’t demonstrate they’ve solved the problem in any measurable way. Instead, the results go straight to hype, marketing and the subjective impressions of audiophiles and reviewers. Same with burn in. Funny that.

As I’ve mentioned before in such discussions, audiophiles think everything changes substantially with "burn in," fuses, resistors, cables. And yet companies like Vishay and others - responsible for selling cabling, resistors etc to professional industries - industrial, computer, and incredibly spec-sensitive applications in avionics, military and aerospace design - don’t go on about "burn in." If the specs actually changed that much over time of a cable or resistor or fuse from when it was delivered new to in-use, this is something customers employing them in sensitive applications would need to know (and it would obviously be very problematic if those industries could not rely on a product actually meeting the stated specs, out of the gate).

And, again, you see (as far as I know) none of this "please burn our product in for 100 hours before application, as the specs will change" when the rubber hits the road, when you sell these things to engineers who can identify B.S. from marketing.

So my question is, why is it tubes are able to do that? Is it a matter of tubes being lowest in distortion at lower-signal levels (where imaging resides?), and transistors in their curves highest?
Back in the 90's when emulating gear in digital, we found that adding even order harmonic distortion brought the image forward and wider, i.e. more tube like. Odd order made the image deeper and more triangular, i.e. more SS like. By careful adjustment of O/E ratios, we could alter the sound stage. We were using 24bit digital and adding distortion at the 16th bit or 0.0015%.

Mani phono pre [only for example, not a slur against Schiit]
In the upper left corner is a 3 terminal voltage regulator. These devices are notorious for varying between manufacturers and within manufacturers as die changes are implemented or offshored. Additionally, these are active devices with feedback and as such can have horrific impedance and phase characteristics which affect the sound of the circuit powered therefrom. On the same DUT, the regulator can make it sound boxy, shrill, dull, warm, etc. With the same regulator, circuit changes which alter the current draw can cause the same sonic changes.

I find no references to burn in in the 50s 60s 70s.. when did it start?
I first heard of it, when the first burn in CD was produced to suck the gullible in so the makers could make some bucks, as they weren't cheap, I think it was Monster that did it to "burn in" their cables

The only thing that "may" burn-in with 20hz lf  tones, is the roll-surround on speaker drivers, that's more of a softening rather than "burn-in"

Cheers George 
Technical question: Do certain electronic components, e.g. capacitors, need to "form" before they operate at their best?