Does anyone care to ask an amplifier designer a technical question? My door is open.

I closed the cable and fuse thread because the trolls were making a mess of things. I hope they dont find me here.

I design Tube and Solid State power amps and preamps for Music Reference. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering, have trained my ears keenly to hear frequency response differences, distortion and pretty good at guessing SPL. Ive spent 40 years doing that as a tech, store owner, and designer.
Perhaps someone would like to ask a question about how one designs a successfull amplifier? What determines damping factor and what damping factor does besides damping the woofer. There is an entirely different, I feel better way to look at damping and call it Regulation , which is 1/damping.

I like to tell true stories of my experience with others in this industry.

I have started a school which you can visit at http://berkeleyhifischool.com/ There you can see some of my presentations.

On YouTube go to the Music Reference channel to see how to design and build your own tube linestage. The series has over 200,000 views. You have to hit the video tab to see all.

I am not here to advertise for MR. Soon I will be making and posting more videos on YouTube. I don’t make any money off the videos, I just want to share knowledge and I hope others will share knowledge. Asking a good question is actually a display of your knowledge because you know enough to formulate a decent question.

Starting in January I plan to make these videos and post them on the HiFi school site and hosted on a new YouTube channel belonging to the school.

128x128ramtubes

Showing 29 responses by tomic601

as for factorials for decimals, try the gamma function

the gamma ray is also effective for trolls who add ZERO
RM

happy Thanksgiving!
RV says hello - told him I recommended your RM-200 for driving some of his speakers....appreciate the insights on MKII having the cap forming switch. I know he and Low share the DBS patent and a few others have started doing that sort of thing internal to amplifiers, preamps, etc.

My question is what tube testers are you recommending at sane portable prices... ????

best to you

Jim

@pryso  thanks ! fortunately the 667 is coming checked out and calibrated by reputable tech and includes the manual and tube charts. I do have a decent Fluke DMM also, so really looking forward to this...I built a bunch of Hafler kits back in the day, but never a tube unit...

fun

RM probably rhetorical but how do we get back to those fun days...

??????
I also have both the RS analog and digital meters. Have had the analog since my time at Ohio State, no palm trees, probably more like UVA...

I suspect what is happening is logic gate ones and zeros are dominating....along with semi automated IC design....

Roger - thanks for the tube tester reply - I have a B&K 667 on the way...already learning a lot
RM - what starter book on basic electronics / circuit s would you recommend ? 

thanks again for your contribution here, so greatly appreciated.
+++++ for a DIY amp kit recommendation as Grannyring requested

i have been considering the 60 wpc kits Ralph puts out...thanks also for your participation here also..

RM I have a dead pair of ESL-63, pretty low serial numbers...thoughts on rebuild upgrade steps at same time?Ashamed to admit I dont really have a budget in mind....
With some affinity for The Dead, corporate or not
in the old days before they had to feed the wall of sound monster, they used 4 x MC240 in bridged mode to run the PA
those are 50# each, so that was an ungainly bit of plywood all four were attached to....
Roger - one of my first memories is also at age 4 watching the MC240 and Bozaks arrive in my parents house
no $ for furniture, plenty for music and HiFi

i still have the 1961 MC240 / MX110 Z

have you measured a 240 ??????

RM

first thanks for the input on Ralphs amp, speakers likely the dead ESL-63 I mentioned in another post. I am away from them but I am assuming with ago all the panels are toast, the limited fault tree look I have done so far indicates EHT power supply issues. I am away from them so do not know on panel color, will check that when home next. Thanks all for inputs on rebuilders.

I am away from my toolbox also but I will get DMM peak voltages measured today, SPL at 1 M

fun, real data will set you free was our mantra at work for 30 years...
using a few of your own words, perhaps you did veer into “ tall poppy “ turf a bit...

in my inteactions w very talented engineers over the years - and there have been many , many outside of audio, ego is also an essential design ingredient... there are some speaker people doing a bit more than just buying off the shelf cones...some of them make amplifiers..

” I was about to write that the M7-HPA measures well for an amplifier with zero loop-negative feedback. Actually it measures well period. John Atkinson.....

I think he liked how it sounded also with cone speakers ;-) I think there are several paths the enlightenment....
I see I veered away myself...

a ? ( repeated ) have you measured the 240 ?

and on the RM-10 can you talk about 35 WPC vs the class A 25 wpc version w hand wound transformers?

I think either one could drive my 85 DB, 6 Ohm (+/- 3 ) speakers. Loud is 90 db C weighting, slow on the venerable R-Shack analog
most of my listening is done low 80’s....

current amp is a NAIM SS class A/B solod state...it has plenty of grunt.....
i may jinx myself but my REF5se is going on 6K hours.....zero issues...I am on the 3rd 6550 ( a USA made TungSol )
RM love your idea about a utility grade ( birch plywood ? ) base for an RM-10 w exchange IF client buys amp. I would be interested in that. I have to say 14# tube amp is attractive as all heck.....

STOP recommending stuff...got the B&K tube tester yesterday, Analog circuit book is due today - you scored yours  for less €
and now a scope? Remember the Mac MPI indicator ? I recall Marantz also has a scope on some gear, as you say fascinating....

so assuming my needs are kit amp building, ESL repair and this and that, which used scope to get ?????

and yes the ESL-63 panels are toast....

Also on the subject of heat.... this is NOTHING compared to creating a beast like the 787
stick to principles, there are different approaches to solving problems

i like the emerging theme from Eric ( Bdp24 ), Ralph and RM about early audio experiences, and especially mentors. I find that very useful and also a good mentor / mentee relationship benefits both.
for what it’s worth my mentor is Richard Vandersteen, a guy I greatly respect.
but can and certainly will learn from others.

great thread

jim

......so these A/B
can describe some of the switch gear involved as a DIY project
?

and I might add that the 5A rated power cord is reasonably priced on the RAM tubes website.

@ eric - no mentoring relationship w RM other than this thread which I am greatly enjoying....and learning...the Analog circuits book arrived today and I am diving into it with a glass of Malbec and some Peter Gabriel on the box ( shock the monkey ? ) I think my trajectory will include burning amp 2019 IF they will have me. Just about to order the scope, R Vandersteen who I do consider a mentor recommended a used Tektronix TDS 220... but Amazon has a new w warranty Tektronix for not much more than the hawks at ebay want used..

big fun

I have a garden hose MIT PC that is a PITA and made my Ayre amp sound worse...IMHO I think a well executed coldwelded moulded cord on quality Belden wire is in many cases superior to glam cables that put a ton of physical loading on connections ( internal to the connector and then into the IDc socket.....and to answer RM ? heat is bad, it is V or I converted, which means NOT good.

taking offers on the garden hose...ha

and yes customer brought his Bob Carver Phase 400 in and wanted to hear it with Litz wire speaker cables into ADS 2030.....

kabooom......

in all fairness, we had a service department that saw a lot of fried Phase 400, you could look crosseyed at them, or so it seemed....
 @mrdecibel indeed.....I think IF memory serves correctly we sold at least 4 pair of them including to a bar owner who loved his music while tending bar....
On a lark one night at the store, while owner away, we biamped them w DH500 on the low end and a DH200 on top ( we had better amos but wanted similar tranfers function )..Played Peter Gabriel - Security...that CD has some low end wallop !!!!!
wow...

I would buy a pair today just for grins....ha

thanks for awesome thread Roger

i got to page 27 of the Williams book and he says “ but as you learned in your AC theory course... “

so....now what book do I need ? Dont answer, I will figure it out...
Tektronix scope is on order...@$&*(#### this is fun.

RIP Charley
I  was a friend of some small depth on Facebook and a BIG fan of his VXR amp....countless hours of musical enyoyment.
Peace and grace for his family and a lasting legacy of greatness is my prayer...
@kalali.  nice, seems like i looked a few days ago and zippo...
trying to decide on the 25 wpc version w hand wound transformers vs this fine example :-) if i leap on this obe, will send you a referral bonus!!!!! red or white,
we were Beveridge , Quad, Acoustat, Sound Lab dealers back in the day, along w Infinity, Wilson, Vandersteen, ADS..omg that was fun....
the 2+2 IF you could get them past WAF were stellar.....

anybody have a used RM-10 they want to part with ?????
actually thinking of a new one in 2019.....

RM - took a hiatus from the book, restarted on page 59....junction temps....had a bad experience with ON Semiconductor thermal tracs.....I know you are a tube guy, can you comment about the diamond topology ? 
RM - NJL3281D

not exactly sure which Ayre used but they did not prove hyper reliable...
the Twenty series use a derivative of the Diamond circuit and I believe also switched away from the thermaltrak...