Does Aesthetix calypso match with Krell 200s pow?

I now want to change my pre amp, but a lot of pre amp in my intend to choose. So, could u ple help me to correct me with aesthetix calypso pre. Or Krell KRC 3? My system: 803s B&W speaker, Wadia 830 CD, Krell ksa 200s pow amp,...
offline69
I ran a KRC-HR with a Krell FPB300c driving Von Schweikert VR4jr speakers for many years and was quite happy (back then) except when listening at high levels with sharper sounding CDs when the sound was just too strident. I changed to a CD player with a tube output (Modwright) but while it helped, it was still not what I wanted. Then I swopped my KRC-HR for a Calypso and not only was the stridency gone, but virtually everything else improved. There was less etch to High frequencies, improved ambience and depth, and the mid and upper bass range was in a different class. The sound-stage was also more layered and images were presented within its own acoustic. One can argue that bass power and punch was not as potent as the KRC's but I prefer the rounder and more resonant low end of the Calypso. In my system, there was no doubt that the Calypso was in a higher performance plane than the KRC-HR.
Offline, go for a tube preamp. Just make sure the output impedance is low enough to drive your Krell. I was never a fan of Krell preamps. My experience with the KRC, KRC-HR and KRC3 is similiar to yours plus a FLAT soundstage.

I'm a big fan of Krell amps though. I've own a Krell KSA100s, FPB300 and FPB600 with only positive experiences.

Krell cd players sounds great but had a reliability problem with their Philip transports. My KPS30i and KAV300cd spent most of the time in transit to and from Krell for repairs or replacement.
Offline,
If you are looking at Goldmun, Mark Levinson and the likes go with a newer Krell pre-amp -- The Knowledge of the sales rep is "Full of It" -- Krell has some of the best sounding pre-amps and CD players available (for a price) can you get any better than krell At this level? thats an ongoing debate -- but the truth is Krell has lots to offer if you can afford it.
The KRC series is a good series gets you to probably 80% of the best out there but they are now long-in the tooth old, I would send it to krell to refurbish (a Good service from krell).

Your only other choices from Krell is the KCT (fantastic world class pre-amp) and the EVO series concluding with the top-of-the-line EVO707/evo 2. Very expensive but the very best. Mark Levinson is great but they are like Krell very expensive because they are one of the best!

I at one point owned the KRC-HR (15 yrs ago)I had no problems with the sound - not thin, not bloated just good sound -- I wonder if its something else in your system or this might be your first experience in clean high-end resolution -- The Krells usually plays (resolution - good or Bad) whats on the disk!
The only thing I'am not familiar with is your wadia cd player -- I heard they were good -- Your Krell amp is the Best part of your system (I still own KSA-100S - Just had it refurbished from krell a few years ago).
Good Luck and be careful of what is said (think before you leap -- unless you have lots of money).
What is your budget for a new pre-amp and that will help fellow audiogoners to give your advise (SS or Tubes).
ok -- swing it!
Dear all,
I've brought home and then listen KRC2, but I still feel neither as I am desired? Sound seems light, bright, sharp and mid seemed thin.
I asked a man in Audio Shops, he experienced a lot of Krell:Pow Krell's good for bass but pre, Krell CD is not good. He recommends choosing from Europe such as: Goldmun, MARK LEVINSON,ACCUSTIC ARTS,...He said this true?
Pls help me more, thanks.
offline69
Hi

Rwwear is correct. I had the KRC which preceded the KRC HR and priced also at $6,900. This was better than the KRC 2. The KRC and KRC 2 were released about the same time, followed by KRC 3 and KRC HR. In descending order of quality - KRC HR > KRC > KRC 2 > KRC 3
My pricing was from the official Krell US price list from 1995. Also Krell's tech and sales rep at the time told me the 2 was a better preamp.
@Ckoffend: thanks for ur help.

@Rwwear: at the pric of ur: Krc2 more than Krc3? In my place, KRC2 price lower KRC3 and KRC higher both left?
Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the KRC, KRC3, and KRC HR preamps?
Thanks for any help.
offline69
My Krell price list from 1995 shows:

KRC HR $6900.00
KRC-2 $3700.00
KRC-3 $2950.00

The 3 was a newer design but the 2 was still current and considered a better product at the time.

US Dollars
Offline69, the KRC2 and KRC3 were made at different times. The KRC2 preceded the 3 and many feel that the proverbial "improvements" Krell claimed did not result in a better sounding product. Many people feel that the KRC-HR is the best of the family (so to speak), followed in this line by the 2.

With your B&W speakers, I would stick with SS preamp if you are not comfortable with tubes. Though they are not as scary as some make them out to be - both the hardcore tube rollers and those that warn of tube failures happening all the time, the high risk, etc. . . Tubes in a preamp are pretty easy and you can get some great advice. If you do go to tubes at some point, the preamp is a good starting point.
Dear Rwwear,
I do not understand what's ur mean?As far as i know: KRC3 higher KRC2 and lower KRC HR?
Aesthetix is very good, but I do not know very much about the tube so will be causedifficulties for me. Krell KRC seri pre seems like a reasonable choise, next time if I have more $ I change pow, Speaker higher will swicth pre tube.
How do you think?
0ffline69
The KRC-3 was never one of Krell's best models. The KRC-2 was better. But they are older designs and I would choose the Calypso over them.
Thanks for ur infor.
No further information Krell KRC 3 pre at all? I want to accurate decisions before paying.
offline69
I ran a Calypso with a Krell FPB 300-C. Great combination. Only get the Calypso if you are willing to roll some tubes - that is what makes it so magical. The stock tubes are installed to simply allow people to break it in before putting "real" tubes in it - IMO. So if buying a Calypso, plan to add several hundred dollars for tubes to allow it to perform properly. There are lots of posts and comments on tube selection for the Calypso - read those.

In the end, the Calypso with Krell FPB 300-C to Wilson speakers was my best sounding system ever!
i have Aesthetix Calypso with FPB600, so good that i have ordered Aesthetix IO sgn. with one PS, still waiting for Io to come.
My next move will likely up grade to Calypso sgn. or most likely to Callisto sgn.
I tried the Calypso with my 700cx. It sounded good but not as good as the PCA-2 by PS Audio which I bought. I preferred the dynamics of the PCA and the flexibility.
This would be good to know as the Calypso/200s are at a resonable price range.Has anyone tried this combo with results?
thanks