Do you use a Subwoofer when listening to stereo?

I thought using a 12 inch b&w asw 2000 sub would b good to allow my b&w 804 d3’s to better handle freq above 80 hz (ie. benefit from sharing burden).  I am not sure this is prudent as my well powered 804s can probably handle those lower frequencies just fine, and may make them sound better vs cutting them off from flowing thru the 804s.
My Stereo listening is done by streaming thru a nucleus connected via usb to a chord Hugo tt2 and then to a marantz 5014 via coaxial, then to a McIntosh mc255 and then off to speakers referred to above

Does excluding sub from stereo make sense?
emergingsoul

Showing 1 response by ejr1953

I've used sub woofers for probably 25 years or so.  I enjoy what they add to the "musical experience".

Having said that, if you decide to add a sub or two to your music audio system, please be patient.  Integrating subs can be a challenging and frustrating experience as the acoustics of the room they live in might require a lot of time and money to get the needed treatments.

In my last house, my 2.0 system sounded fantastic!  The bass that my main speakers had was excellent, just not as good as a sub would provide in the lowest two octaves.  I added a pair of excellent subs, which came with microphones and an internal app to "tune" them to the room, but the room would add a single bass note, regardless of what the bass player was playing.  I eventually bought a special microphone and a special piece of software to help me purchase and install 10 bass traps, to mostly control the errant response from the room!  I had challenges with other subs in other listening rooms, but nothing as frustrating as this.

We are three weeks from settling on a new home, with a dedicated listening room, fingers crossed that the subs will "behave" in their new digs.