Do you run a high end power cord on your sub?

I have a Rel B2 sub in my system, and have never really bothered with a decent power cord for it. I have an "Iron Lung Jellyfish" power cord, which is better than a stock cord. It is a $30 cord but is actually suprisingly good when you are just "testing the waters" of what power cords can do. I am considering something better, but not sure if this is the best place to spend money? What are your experiences with upgraded power cords for subwoofers? I am thinking about an Audience Powerchord e, as I use Audience power cords on my other components.

Other components in my system:
Thor Audio TA-1000 mk II preamp
BAT VK-55SE amp
Hyperion HPS-938 speakers
PS Audio PWD mk 2
Audience AR6T power conditioner and power cords
Nordost Heimdall IC's
Anticables speaker cables
mekong56

Showing 19 responses by bo1972

More Money never will be a garantee for better quality, for cables the same story!!
It is as it is....Wolfy! Audio is all about looking and thinking further. Nothing is as it is. The need to do things better as they are, gives higher endresults. Hearing is believing. And that is why quality sells at the end. And yes it is that simple!
We did test many different powercables on our subwoofers. There was one powercable who beat them all by far. Purist Audio gives superior deep low freq, better timing and even in the higher freq it was better. These days we go up to 140hz. This makes the integration a lot better with the speakers. Thicker cables work often a lot better with subwoofers. I sold Nordost for about 10 years of time. There cables are not the best combination for subwoofers.
I owned and sold many Valhalla powercables. But for subwoofers they do not go low enough. Compared to Purist Audio there not in the same league. I sold most of them to clients with sources and pre amps. Because they work here a lot better.
We compared the Kimber PK10 gold, Audioquest NRG-2, 4, 10 and Wild and the Purist aqueous with a subwoofer. The kimber was very good for the money even beat the NRG-10. The Purist beat them all with ease. Even compared to the Wild it was still beter. More control, better timing. I sell a lot expensive loudspeakercable and interlinks from Audioquest. I asked Audioquest to make soon better powercables. They said they are now developing better ones. I am ready to test.....
Audioquest is now busy to develop new powercabels. I think they are tired about my comments that there powercables are not good enough. I Always say: It is as it is. So keep it simple!
People who use poor old Rel subwoofers maybe will not hear any difference between different powercables. It can make a very big difference with new and good subwoofers. These days you can use subwoofers to much higher freq. ( like 140 hz, cause of the fast respons) this makes the integration so much better. The better powercables works better in the low freq. but also in the freq above 80 hz.
The person who is chief of Audioquest Europe has been 3 times to my house for listening. We talk often about Audioquest cables. We also spoke a few times about there powercables. He asked me to test a few. I gave him my opinion. I also told the same info to Bill Low last year wenn I met him.
Audioquest Europe arranged the new Wild Dog pure silver interconnect for me. One week ago Audioquest America had the parts ready for this new top model subwoofer cable. I will receive it soon. I will write a review about it as well.
Faster respons of the units is the key to better integration. Till 2012 I used to max 80hz. In the past I sold many many Rel subwoofers. You could not use them to higher freq. They did not have the control and speed to be used this high. After I got information that higher freq. would give a better result I tried it out. I was surprised how much better the integration became. I started with 100, 120 and ended at 140 hz.

More speed means better timing, more control and better integration. I play about 80-90% stereo. Most tests are done at stereo use.
The reason why I can use this is cause of the way I use Audyssey Pro. I measure it at totally different places and hights compared to Audyssey. The end results are stunning. It gives what I call Stealth integration. Without it I also cannot use it this far. ( to be honnest) It gave me the quality I Always dreamed of.
Roomcorrection is only a part of Audyssey. Audyssey EQ and Volume give more drive and even resolution. The way Audyssey uses it, it works but I didn't like some parts of it. So I started to use it differently. The same thing about how they measure a subwoofer. I started to measure it at totally different places and hights. This gave superior drive and resolution. What I did at the most important show in our country was using the pre amp without the systems and with all the parts of Audyssey. People were amazed about the differences. The owner and chief of the biggest Audio magazine in our country called us to say we were the Absolute sound.

Wolfy is an amature ( with a cheap old Rel subwoofer of more than 10 years Old) who also has an opinion about highend products. I do this as a profession for almost 16 years. I sold and owned a lot of highend. I Always want to create the best sound. If there was a better sound on the show they would not called us.

Wolfy does not like my approach, this says more about his limitations as a F... AMATURE. These kind of people were there also at the show. Jealous people who said; you use the centre speaker. So I said put your ear on it. Most people never heard such a touchable and 3D image in there life. Many shopkeepers came on monday to me to say: We never heard this level in sound in our life. It is that easy to understand the difference and hear the quality.

I will invite Wolfy the amature when I am in America. Hearing is believing. That is how I work, I want audio to be open and honnest. I love competition. I love to battle against other shops to give the best sound for the bucks.
Audyssey EQ and Volume are parts of the whole system. I can improve the articulation of voices dramaticly. Even when we compare very expensive pre-amps word endings and breathing of singers is not that clear. Hearing is believing, so we compare all the time. Clients Always can choose what they want. We try to get the best quality possible. That is why I sell and choose only those products which are superior to others. I can sell everything I want, but I only interested in the best. This makes competition to other shops so easy.

Cables are a different part of audio. But for me one of the most fun parts. Cause of the thousends of testst I did with cabels I know how much you can positivly influence the overwhole sound.

You need to understand all the different properties/qualities every single tool ( amps, speakers, sources, cables, conditioners etc.) has. Then you can get the max out of them.
Audio is just about the best quality in sound. Quality is something what people hear and understand very well when you do it right. It is about the joyment and happiness it can give to people. At the end it is about emotion and music as pure as it gets. That is the main focus.
In the past I sold Tact/Lyngdorf. There system I never liked. At the end you get less. In the beginning when I started with Audyssey I heard clear advantages, but also the limitation. After done 2 measurments with Audyssey ( there way) I started to do it differently. I had thoughts that could solve the limitations. And yess I created a much better level in dynamics and also in resolution. These days I can use Audyssey EQ and Volume so precise that I have more dynamics and resolution than without. I can let people hear the difference with my measurment and without it. Now with Audyssey Pro ( what is superior compared to xt-32 or below) I have more freedom. Compared to very expensive pre amps I can let people hear articulation of voices so much clearer. 2nd and 3 th voices are better separated then with many expensive highend pre amps. The same about decay and definition of instruments. What I do is let clients choose a number they know well and we compare them with there preamp and the Onkyo with pro. The difference is so big that you do not want to go back anymore. There it is; it is all about quality and all the details you can hear.
Wolfy is definitely the clown ( we call it: Pipo overhere) of Audiogon!! To have your own opinion is fine with me and a good thing. Often he speaks for other people. He doesn't know me, please speak for yourself Pipo!!
Discovery has a programm called: Idiot abroard. They should make a programm with Wolfy called; Audio Idiot!!
I think we better can stop to make it too personal. Better focus on the things were it is about. Audio Always will be about a personal taste. We are all different with different idea's. At the end a customer can make his or her own decisions. You give a demo and people can compare it with others. I Always try to create a higher endresult compared to a competitor. This works very well for me. If a cleint thinks he or she can get a better deal elswhere I would go for that. Audio is about your own choice. Just listen and compare.....

Powercables have more influence on the overwhole sound than most people think. Just listen with your own ears!
Far over 95% of all the brands who produces cables are not that special. That is why I hate all the crap what is on the market. This is the reason why people are not convinced about cables. I understand this very well.