Do you play an instrument? Helps in speaker eval?

Reading how everyone is sure they know what speakers sound like relative to real music, how many of you play an instrument? Which one?
omsed

Showing 1 response by jeffb28451

Yes, absolutely, but...

Have played bass, trumpet and guitar for over 40 years. Experience in amplified, unamplified, sound reinforcement, etc. Have sat in audiences untold times, and right in front of trombones at full bore in orchestras...here's the catch.

Wolf has it right on the head. A few years ago, I was in a very high end dealer on the East Coast, at a Transparent cable unveiling/demo. There were about 20 people present.

Now, I've used Transparent and tons of other stuff, down to 24 gauge cotton wrapped silver, so this is no knock on expensive cable (that's another post). Anyway, "A" and "B" samples were played of an acoustic bass and french horn. No one in the room commented when asked about hearing the differences. Since I'd bobbed my head, I got called on and said the harmonics were different and the attacks/leading edges were obviously different. The demonstrator seemed satisfied with that, until I added that moving the microphone just a few inches closer or further from the bridge or the bell could also make the same difference.

I wasn't asked for more input.