Do you, or did you, have Audiophile buddies that you shared music, gear, times with?

In my lifetime, from the military, to business, to racing, vacations and more, sharing all with a close friend was part of the magic of those times.
Have you had someone close to you that made or makes your audiophile experience(s) even better?  My primary audiophile friend has passed, but I enjoyed so many great musical times with him.  From Magnepans, to Martin Logan,  Dahlquist, Conrad Johnson, ARC and so many more....a major part of the joy, learning and more was the friend that I shared nearly all of it with.  The fact that we both liked sports cars, Bordeaux and modern architecture/furniture was also great, but the music/audio connection was, likely,  the best.  I think the holidays make me think of friends and family experiences and music has been much a part of those times. 

Have a good and safe holiday season. 

whatjd

Showing 1 response by cd318

@whatjd ,

The actor Steve McQueen had told his son, Chad, after his son had a hardship, Steve said "life ain't fair"....perhaps simplified, but rooted in truth. 

To suggest anything to the contrary would be irresponsible. Yet it happens all the time.

Three of my male friends are into audio too, and a whole load of other stuff too. Our areas of overlap are sci-fi/Doctor Who, classic films/TV, music etc.

Two of them are into gaming but as a chessplayer I've find any gaming beyond Gran Tourismo and Tekken a little too stressful. 

Sadly we've gradually slightly drifted apart. Only one of them got married, albeit only for a short time (he never talks about the split - just something about their differences. One of them pretends to be a hard man (absolutely not), and another won't come out and admit he's gay. We all know he is, but it's his choice.

Interestingly enough, 2 of them have shown a lot more interest in the Christian church in recent times. 

We also seem to be split on politics and Covid. All 3 of them are more inclined to hold left wing views, yet I'm the only one who has studied history, politics and economics.

I just realized that I'm the only one now left with my parents still alive. Hmm.

Me, I try to act as if I'm control and have the answers. I don't think I have a clue. My life seems to have become like it's on a conveyor belt with most of it obscured from vision.

Just getting from day to day keeping mind, body, marriage, family and finances together.

All of us are quite precious about our hi-fi in a similar way that many are about their cars (yes, yet another psychological research project). However time has brought better perspective to our lives.

Lockdowns have put paid to our regular music evenings, at least for now. So our main contact has been via the phone and WhatsApp.

Anyway, it has been a privilege to find others who have shared both my passion (and neurosis) regarding audio playback.
I am very grateful for all of those shared times together.

We were like children playing.