Do you listen to equipment or music.

This Blog got me to thinking about the subject:
https://www.blogger.com/u/1/blogger.g?blogID=6484902156509233383#editor/target=post;postID=191909277...
In the past I have spent hours listening to the same part of the same song just to fine tune various components of the of the audio system. I even move speakers and listen - move them again and listen more. Sometimes I wonder what I am doing. Whatever it is, when I get into this mode, I am not listening to the music.  It would be nice how the community feels about listening to music or equipment.
johnspain
I don't listen to the equipment unless I just got new piece, but I do sometimes listen to as much of a sound as of the music being played. I know my system very well and don't have to re-evaluate it.
I also compare different vinyl pressings from time to time, this is fun, I always try to have the very best sounding pressings. With some it is like big system upgrade, the difference can be striking.
One does not have to sacrifice either clarity or fullness and musicality. This is not easy to achieve but it can be done.
Now that 90% of my listening is from streaming on Tidal, I find myself listening to only part of a particular track, then move on to the next one. When I was spinning vinyl, I would listen to at least one side of an album, then with CDs I would listen to a complete album before changing to another CD.  

So I have found that I need to sit back and at least listen to entire tracks, "sides" or, even entire albums again.

Anyone else have this issue?
I was very satisfied with my system for many years. Then for some reason my Dahlquist DQ-10's piezoelectric tweeter started sounding screechy. I started to listen to the bass response which could be lacking at times.  I was more and more listening for the DQ-10's  failings and successes at music reproduction, not the music itself, after all these years 

The more I couldn't help but listen to the speakers, rather than the music, the more I realized my old friends needed upgrading. Mind you they sounded pretty much the same as always.  I just couldn't listen to only the music anymore. 

I'll shed a tear for them when my Magico A3's finally arrive this month. They've always been sitting near the corners of each living room in every place I've lived, like bookends, old friends, for the best part of my life. (credit to Simon & Garfunkel). 

Mike
I had not changed any major audio equipment from 2012 to June 2018 and just enjoyed listening to music.

But from July 2018 to January this year I had spent more than 15K$ to change components and cables.

Now I am getting close to the sound that I had wished.

It is about time to go back to enjoying music.

I also bought more than 300 red book CDs for last two months.