Do you have a defining musical moment from your early years?

Let me explain.

I grew up in England, mother bringing up 2 unruly louts as a single working mother. Not too common in rural England in 60/70,s and somewhat frowned upon.

Money was not bountiful although we never went without staples and no way mom would let her kids go to school in worn or threadbare clothing so I have no complaints.

So imagine my surprise when I got up on the morning of my 13th birthday to find a bright yellow Decca record player wrapped in a bow with a card on the kitchen table.

Even more of a surprise when I lifted the lid to find 4 singles loaded up in the multi play changer. These were my very first vinyl I could call my own!
Think years of listening to my mom’s albums like Perry Como, Andy Williams, Frank Sinatra etc. It’s a wonder I was not scarred for life!

So the singles.... These although long gone I will never ever forget.

Pinball Wizard ... The Who/ Elton John.
In the year 2525 ... Zager & Evans.
Teenagers Mother .... Bill Haley & the Comets.
Purple Haze ... Jimi Hendrix.

Bit of a strange brew but later my mom told me she had no clue and had enlisted the help of a fellow parent who donated these to help her out.

Probably a good thing I do not have them,now as fairly sure they would be worn out as they were played to death.
That was it though, I was hooked and got a Saturday job ( child labour eh?) to feed my addiction. Our local swapshop ( think English equivalent to Pawn shop) always had loads of cheap singles for sale. No idea where they all ended up though tbh.

So that’s my story and my wayward start down the road of rock,n,roll!
128x128uberwaltz
I listened to Get Yer Ya Yas Out (which had just come out) on the big (big, big) system in a chalet up on Red Mountain in Aspen where Dave Brubeck Quartet would go to practice. The mostly high end Mcintosh Tube system featured quite a few very large speakers and very big McIntosh electronics, a time delay system, grand piano and Joshua Light show stuff, oh, and some kind of monster midrange horn. I recall the garage was loaded with Ducati racing motorcycles. Not that that sort of thing impresses me. 
As a youngster, our family went to visit distant relatives in Kentucky. Walking down into the basement, there it was, a complete wall of vinyl records.

Watching The Beatles first appearance on Ed Sullivan I think must have had some impact.
Playing first chair coronet in the 7th & 8th grade band.

Listening to our family’s Christmas music on vinyl growing up through the Motorola console stereo (had a tube amplifier).

Staying up late as a teenager to listen to FM radio shows
I have two:

1. The first time I heard a Charley Parker song at age 10. I asked to be in the band and rent a saxophone.

2. School field trip to see a small symphony. As I sat in the audience i remember a strange sensation of excitement and satisfaction as the hair on the back of my neck and arms stood on end. It was then that I knew I would be chasing this sensation for the rest of my life. 
1970: “Whole Lotta Love” on headphones before heading off to school.  The minute before was one universe, the minute after was another.

1968: hearing the Vienna Boys Choir at the Civic Opera House, Chicago.  I became aware that some people spent a ton of money to build a beautiful building just for hearing music.  Now that really blew me away.

1975:  Playing “Whole Lotta Love” in a garage band.  Drums, a quarter as good as Bonham with twice the tubs.

1972:  singing “Oh, Holy Night” in the church choir.

1977:  Hooking up my friend’s Marantz 2245 to his BIC Venturi’s.  

2018:  hearing the Triangle Magellan Concert Grands on a Luxman rig at Axpona.

2019:  hearing the Spendor D7 on a Chord rig at Axpona.

Uberwaltz, that was one beautiful story.
Thank you Dprincipato.

A lot of worthy highlights in your post.
Thank you for sharing.

I guess another worthy moment ( or two) was our first venture into a recording studio.
Followed by having said session mixed and mastered at THE Abbey Road Studios in London. Just being in those hallowed halls was a huge moment!